Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans Charged off in BK7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans Charged off in BK7

I filed BK7 in 2016 I was looking at my CR and this month my student loans have been listed as Discharged in Bankruptcy and are now reporting as negative items.

My student loans were not included in bankruptcy as once I filed my lawyer said they were no longer considered a undue hardship so there was no point in including them.

Why did Nelnet wait almost 3 years and change there status? I still pay them every month but they are now reporting as closed. I called nelnet and they are definitely not closed.

Will filing a dispute get them reporting correctly again or is there another route to take ?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans Charged off in BK7

Bump
Message 2 of 4
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

I'm going through a similar situation now.  One of my two student loan tradelines started reporting as discharged in BK7 with $0 balance on TU and EX last month.  I've been partially successful with filing disputes (EX fixed the problem, but TU was stubborn), but I've also been in contact with my loan servicer about the situation.  They (Edfinancial) requested copies of the credit reports in question that showed the incorrect status of the loan, in addition to the court filing showing that the loans were included in but not discharged in my BK7.  Just this afternoon, I got a letter from the servicer saying that they are sending updated information to the CRAs that should prompt the change back to correct info on TU.  So yes, I'd recommend that you file disputes with each affected CRA, but also you should reach out to Nelnet and speak to someone that can investigate the credit reporting discrepancy from their end.

CH7 Filed Dec 31, 2018; DC Apr 9, 2019
FICO 8 at DC (Apr 15, 2019):
FICO 8 current (June 29, 2022):
Total revolving credit limit: $149,150 Utilization: 9% Inquiries:

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Who let me back in: CapOne / Citi (Retail) / DSNB / Synchrony / Comenity
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went ahead and disputed the accounts hopefully this will get them reporting properly.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.