Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans & BK 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans & BK 7

I searched the board but my husband and I are filing BK 7 in the next week or so with the lawyer. Our Student Loans are defaulted at this point, and I know they aren't dischargeable, but what will be the best way to bring them current? They are with AES/Chase for private, and then For Federal its with Higher Education Corp in texas.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student Loans & BK 7

I know that federal student loans will typically allow you to do a rehab program and if you make 12 payments on time they will take your loans out of collections and reinstate them.  You would have to ask Chase about their program if they have one.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 3
redneck18
Contributor

Re: Student Loans & BK 7

Aggiegirl12, my experience was upon filing, they were moved to a different service provider. While in BK, they are essentially in forebearance. you will probably receive something in the mail from the new service provider. I started calling the day after my discharge to set up rehab, they wouldn't talk to me until they received notification of discharge. Once they received this, about 3 weeks after DC, I was able to start the rehab process. You make 9 on time payments in 10 months and it brings your loans current. I hope you have a similar experience.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.