Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans after bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans after bankruptcy

My federal student loans are showing closed on all my credit reports. Obviously they we're not discharged in bankruptcy. I am just wondering if or when they will show under my open accounts again? I have already made a payment since discharge.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Student loans after bankruptcy

usually within 30 days post DC it should start to look normal again on reports on your student loan. I have Fedloan servicing for mine, and after the first statement cut after my DC is when it all changed back to "open", and in good standing. Give your lender a call and ask when you'll expect to set it "reporting correctly".

BTW...welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thank you
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they mail you new payment information when the 13 is done an over with or is it on you to call them and get that stuff figured out? I just made my last payment to the trustee and need to figure out when I need to start paying them directly. I don’t want any lates.
Message 4 of 7
BamBam2000
Contributor

You will be notified. I'm still pending my dischardge and when I log in to FedLoan I'm still not set-up tp make a payment. It shows payment deu as zero. If you

@Anonymous wrote:
Do they mail you new payment information when the 13 is done an over with or is it on you to call them and get that stuff figured out? I just made my last payment to the trustee and need to figure out when I need to start paying them directly. I don’t want any lates.

Message 5 of 7
BamBam2000
Contributor

So I keep going online and checking. I called and they said that once they are notified of the discharge in writing they make the changes to the account. Right now when I log in it shows no payment due. I'm set up for online payments and paperless so it should come via email.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea what any of my online information is with the student loan comanies. My loans were in deferment before my chapter 13 so it’s been 6+ years since I’ve had to do anything with them. Guess I will wait til they mail me a paper bill and go from there.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.