cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synch sold an account that was in active ch7?

tag
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Synch sold an account that was in active ch7?

So my Walmart card was one of those that Synch was selling to Cap1 and the letter stated it would transfer to them on the 14th of Oct.  I filed on Oct 7th and on the 8th, Synch updated my reports to show something different on all 3 reports: 2 are still reporting balances and the only one that shows IIB, has a 0 bal.  The two with the bals, one is closed by credit grantor and the other has no comment.

Yesterday I get 2 monitoring alerts that Cap1 reported the Walmart account with full bal and a status of 30 days late, and the next one where they had changed the late to Account closed by Credit grantor.   No mention of IIB.

If Synch closed it and are the ones in the bankruptcy schedule, how can they transfer/sell it to another bank?

Anyone want to wager a guess as to how this is going to play out? Not a real big deal to me at this point, but I don't believe that Cap1 should be able to report anything on it and am curious if they paid Synch for an account that is in active bankruptcy previous to the transfer?

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

Re: Synch sold an account that was in active ch7?

@2b2rich wrote:

If Synch closed it and are the ones in the bankruptcy schedule, how can they transfer/sell it to another bank?

Your credit report is not relevant as it relates to the ability of one creditor to  transfer a

performing or non-performing account to another.  Nor does the filing of a bankruptcy stop the ability to sell, give away or otherwise transfer the account.  Such transfers happen all the time, inside and/or outside of bankruptcy. 

The automatic stay protects you from collection, regardless of who holds the paper.  If and when you obtain your discharge, the discharge injunction will replace the automatic stay.  A discharge does not mean you do not owe the money.  It only means that the creditor is enjoined from attempting to collect.

Des.

Message 2 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@despritfreya wrote:

@2b2rich wrote:

Your credit report is not relevant as it relates to the ability of one creditor to  transfer a

performing or non-performing account to another.  Nor does the filing of a bankruptcy stop the ability to sell, give away or otherwise transfer the account.  Such transfers happen all the time, inside and/or outside of bankruptcy. 

The automatic stay protects you from collection, regardless of who holds the paper.  If and when you obtain your discharge, the discharge injunction will replace the automatic stay.  A discharge does not mean you do not owe the money.  It only means that the creditor is enjoined from attempting to collect.

Des.

That isn’t correct at all, you no longer owe the debt after its discharge. Period.

As for the rest of your comment,  it’s all irrelevant to me. I’m saying that Cap1 thought they were purchasing an active charge account in good standing with no lates ever.  They’re not junk debt buyers.  I ask the question: ‘Would Cap1 have Purchased this account if they knew it was in a ch7 petition’. I am certain they would not have.  

Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I'd call your lawyer and let them handle it. No negative info can be placed on your credit report after filing. IIB and 0 balance is the only thing they can list no matter who has/had the account You paid the law firm to do a service. This is part of it. If sync was included in your BK as you said.  The door was shut and locked. Cap1 shouldnt be able to post anything on your report after a takeover. Sync owned it and it was part of the automatic stay. They shouldnt be able to pass the buck.Thats JMO. Cap1 came along a little too late to the party.

Side Note: No bold letters/repeating allowed if you dont agree.

Message 4 of 8
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@2b2rich wrote:

@despritfreya wrote:

A discharge does not mean you do not owe the money.  It only means that the creditor is enjoined from attempting to collect.

That isn’t correct at all, you no longer owe the debt after its discharge. Period.

Please cite to some legal authority that states one "no longer owes the debt".

11 U.S.C. §524 states, in part. . .

"(a) A discharge in a case under this title—. . .

(2) operates as an injunction against the commencement or continuation of an action, the employment of process, or an act, to collect, recover or offset any such debt as a personal liability of the debtor,. . . " (emphasis added.)

There is no provision in the Bankruptcy Code or in case law that states the debt is no longer owed.  It is "owed".  The creditor is enjoined from collecting. 

Des.

Message 5 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@despritfreya wrote:

@2b2rich wrote:

@despritfreya wrote:

A discharge does not mean you do not owe the money.  It only means that the creditor is enjoined from attempting to collect.

Please cite to some legal authority that states one "no longer owes the debt".

11 U.S.C. §524 states, in part. . .

"(a) A discharge in a case under this title—. . .

(2) operates as an injunction against the commencement or continuation of an action, the employment of process, or an act, to collect, recover or offset any such debt as a personal liability of the debtor,. . . " (emphasis added.)

There is no provision in the Bankruptcy Code or in case law that states the debt is no longer owed.  It is "owed".  The creditor is enjoined from collecting. 

Des.

(Understand that, I am in no way trying to be rude by using the bold in a quote of any person’s.  I simply use an iPad quite often and that was the only way I knew how to point out who and what part of their comment that I am replying to.)

The statements in blue, are two completely different things.  I agree that once a debt is discharged, that it is still owed to the creditor, but that wasn’t the way it was worded in your comment that I replied to.  You stated that ‘I’ would still owe it after it is discharged and I do not agree with that.  That the creditor is still owed, I would agree,  just not by me.  

You asked me to please cite to some legal authority that states ‘no longer owes the debt’. 

The definition (Merriam-Webster) of ‘owe’ is: ‘to be under obligation to pay or repay in return for something received’.

My legal authority that I believe supports this is the actual discharge document where it defines ‘Debts that are Discharged’, reads: ‘The Chapter 7 discharge order eliminates a debtor’s legal obligation to pay a debt that is discharged’.

So, my reasons are that, if you are legally not obligated to pay a debt, then you no longer fit the definition of ‘owe’.  

This is isn’t the same as when an old debt is past the SOL or and/or scrolls of credit reporting.  A person does still owe that even if the creditor can no longer sue them for it.

the Discharge redefines the debtor as no longer owing it, even if it is still owed to the creditor.

Message 6 of 8
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@2b2rich wrote:

Understand that, I am in no way trying to be rude. . . 

You asked me to please cite to some legal authority that states ‘no longer owes the debt’.  The definition (Merriam-Webster) of ‘owe’ is: ‘to be under obligation to pay or repay in return for something received’. My legal authority that I believe supports this is the actual discharge document where it defines ‘Debts that are Discharged’, reads: ‘The Chapter 7 discharge order eliminates a debtor’s legal obligation to pay a debt that is discharged’. So, my reasons are that, if you are legally not obligated to pay a debt, then you no longer fit the definition of ‘owe’.  the Discharge redefines the debtor as no longer owing it, even if it is still owed to the creditor.

First and foremost, your highlighting and/or comments are not "rude".  Our discourse is based upon intelligent thought processes therefore your input is appreciated and pointing out where we disagree simply leads to a better understanding when responding.

The "law" is not precise and that is the reason we have judges who interpret the law.  I do understand where you are coming from and, while the outcome is the same, your analysis of the language of the law is at issue. In the legal profession, the language contained in a Statute must be given its plain meaning unless ambiguous. 11 U.S.C. § 524 is not ambiguous. 

A good example of how this works in a court can be seen in the following case:

In re Irby, 337 B.R. 293,295 (Bankr. N.D. Ohio, 2005)

“(I)t is evident that the Plaintiffs' have based the success of their cause of action on a common misconception of bankruptcy law: that the bankruptcy discharge eliminates the very existence of a debt. But this is not the case. Nowhere in the Bankruptcy Code does it provide that a debt is extinguished. Instead, § 524. . .  limits its breadth to "operat[ing] as an injunction against the commencement or continuation of an action" to collect or recover a debt. The statute then goes on to limit the applicability of this "injunction" with this important proviso: "as a personal liability of the debtor[.]"  In this way, upon discharge, it is only a debtor's personal obligation to pay the debt that is effectively extinguished; the debt itself remains. Johnson v. Home State Bank, 501 U.S. 78, 83, 111 S.Ct. 2150 2153, 115 L.Ed.2d 66 (1991).

In many instances, of course, such a distinction is purely academic. The effect of a creditor being legally enjoined from pursuing recourse against a debtor will, in large percentage of instances, forever bar the creditor from seeing payment on their debt; thus, such creditor will be provided scant comfort in the knowledge that, from a legal standpoint, their debt remains technically in existence. .” (Emphasis added.)

It is important to note that the above example cites to the USSC case of Johnson v. Home State Bank therefore the USSC has made  this proposition the "law of the land".

See also the unpublished opinion of Plan Adm'r for the Gail & Rice, Inc. Profit Sharing Plan v. Gail & Rice, Inc. (Bankr. E.D. Mich., 2011) which notes that, “Section 524 makes clear that once a bankruptcy court has entered an order of discharge, it is only a debtor's personal obligation to pay the debt that is effectively extinguished; the debt itself remains. . . (Citing to In re Irby)”

For a few published opinions of a similar type see:

In re Porcoro, 565 B.R. 314 (Bankr. N.J., 2017);
In re Wimmer, 512 B.R. 498 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y., 2014);
In re Montano, 488 B.R. 695 (Bankr. N.M., 2013)

I hope this clears up the issue and just maybe gives you, and all who read this, insight as to how courts interpret laws.

Des.

Message 7 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@despritfreya wrote:

I hope this clears up the issue and just maybe gives you, and all who read this, insight as to how courts interpret laws.

Des.

Well, actually it's all still a little foreign to me Smiley Happy but I appreciate all of the time you've taken to help explain it.  I'm sure as things progress, the fog will clear little by little and it will all make sense.  You can't fault someone with little experience in seeing my point of view, initially.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.