cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks to you all! and looking for adivce...

tag
GatorsFan84
Contributor

Thanks to you all! and looking for adivce...

Hi all,

First post here.  I wanted to thank everyone that has put any type of information in this forum.  It was very helpful dealing with the chp 7 I just went through.

Backstory – lost job the usual, lasted a year and half on savings.  Tried to sell the house but no go.  Ended up filing and losing the house and had another $60k in CC debt.  My CC debt included Amex Gold Premier (sued me), Chase (Marriott), Citi (diamond preferred) and Cap One (venture).

Unfortunately this was my second chp 7.  The first one happened when I was 21 but I won’t get into that.  That was a completely different situation.

This chp 7 was discharged in Aug 2016.  About a month after, CreditOne offered me a pre-approval and I accepted the card with a $1700 limit.  Also about a month after I applied for a car loan and was offered $12k at 7% rate.

Since then, all I am getting is denials when trying to build.  Amex, Chase, Citi and Cap one pre-quals all come back with nothing but considering they were in the bankruptcy I haven’t tried applying.  I applied for a Discover and was declined.  I had a discover card included in the chp 7 but it had a zero balance.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where I should go from here.  My FICOs are all 580-600.

Again I wanted to say thanks for the hard work all of you have put into this forum.  It really got me through a tough time.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thanks to you all! and looking for adivce...

@rwoodruff13 wrote:

Hi all,

First post here.  I wanted to thank everyone that has put any type of information in this forum.  It was very helpful dealing with the chp 7 I just went through.

Backstory – lost job the usual, lasted a year and half on savings.  Tried to sell the house but no go.  Ended up filing and losing the house and had another $60k in CC debt.  My CC debt included Amex Gold Premier (sued me), Chase (Marriott), Citi (diamond preferred) and Cap One (venture).

Unfortunately this was my second chp 7.  The first one happened when I was 21 but I won’t get into that.  That was a completely different situation.

This chp 7 was discharged in Aug 2016.  About a month after, CreditOne offered me a pre-approval and I accepted the card with a $1700 limit.  Also about a month after I applied for a car loan and was offered $12k at 7% rate.

Since then, all I am getting is denials when trying to build.  Amex, Chase, Citi and Cap one pre-quals all come back with nothing but considering they were in the bankruptcy I haven’t tried applying.  I applied for a Discover and was declined.  I had a discover card included in the chp 7 but it had a zero balance.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where I should go from here.  My FICOs are all 580-600.

Again I wanted to say thanks for the hard work all of you have put into this forum.  It really got me through a tough time.

Have you tried Barclays?

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 2 of 5
GatorsFan84
Contributor

I haven't recently.  I've always stayed away from them because they never seem to like me.  Even back when I had all those other cards and credit score 750+ barclays would deny me lol.  Never had any cards with them or any issues with them.  Was very strange.

If you think I might have a shot, I'll take a look into them.

Message 3 of 5
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@rwoodruff13 wrote:

I haven't recently.  I've always stayed away from them because they never seem to like me.  Even back when I had all those other cards and credit score 750+ barclays would deny me lol.  Never had any cards with them or any issues with them.  Was very strange.

If you think I might have a shot, I'll take a look into them.

I understand.  Other options are credit unions.  There seem to be a few that are bankruptcy friendly.  There's also a few store cards that you could possibly be approved for.  The "Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards" thread was very helpful for me when I was beginning my rebuild.

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 4 of 5
GatorsFan84
Contributor

Also I'll add this just in case someone has a situation like mine.  I just did the SCT and got a few approvals for $500-750 CL so I'll let that grow.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.