Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rebuilding Process Begins

tag
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

The Rebuilding Process Begins

I just want to share the good news with you all. Due to the extensive knowledge on this forum, I am on track to rebuilding my credit and I am not yet even DC from my BK7. I had my meeting of creditors last week so I went thorugh all of my CR and only a handful of things needed to be disputed. After rereading the "HOW TO; From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months," I decided to try my luck with Credit One. Low and behold I was approved for $300. Now the rebuilding process will officially begin. They seemed to have only pulled Ex, which is the most accurate report out of the three for me with very little inquiries. I also had a CFNA Firestone card with a zero balance that seemed to have survived the BK7. My score was listed on Credit One as 607. I want to encourage all those who are just filling or will be that there is light at the end of tunnel and it will get better!

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Rebuilding Process Begins

Hi. Congratulations on your progress.

I have a question. Its my understanding that while in the midst of bk one should refrain from applying for credit. I'm so leery to even look at CR until after DC

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 2 of 5
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

@empressj wrote:

Hi. Congratulations on your progress.

I have a question. Its my understanding that while in the midst of bk one should refrain from applying for credit. I'm so leery to even look at CR until after DC

I consulted with my lawyer who has claimed that it is fine to start building credit before your discharge as this would be considered post petition debt. The problem is that most creditors are not too keen on giving out credit while one is still in banktruptcy. I would absoultely recommend revieiwng your CRs with all three CRAs before your discharge to expedite improving your credit once you're discharged. There will be errors with some creditors not reporting accurately as there were with my reports and you would be one step closer to having a cleaned up CR to be able to start rebuilding immediately. 

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also told by my lawyer that after the 341 meeting it was ok to apply for new credit. I was still worried about pulling the trigger, good to know other peoples lawyers are also giving them the go ahead.
Message 4 of 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Bigger worries would be the creditor declining and you wasting inquiries. NFCU is one lender that will deny until you are discharged from 7

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.