Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Keep or Not to Keep Car

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Keep or Not to Keep Car

Hi Everyone, 

I filed for Ch.7 on Friday 2/1, initially I wanted to keep my car it's a 2015 Sentra with 14443 left on the loan. It's only worth 7 something. I'm going back and forth on whether or not I should keep the car. I have zero interest on the loan so all my payments go straight to the principal. 

I just want others opinions and experiences. 

Also, what are other people experience with Nissan and not reaffirming with them?

Thank you in advance.

-Ash

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To Keep or Not to Keep Car

How many miles on the car?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost 50,000

Message 3 of 8
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

A car repossession, on many levels, can be even more damaging to your future credit life than even a bankruptcy. I would avoid a repossession at all costs.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

On one hand, you have a newer car with zero interest... on another hand you have a car worth a lot less than you owe. Up to you to decide... but the smart money would be to turn it in. If you don’t have a way to get another you may not have an option...

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally would not reaffirm a car... a house probably but not a car. Maybe someone will chime in as to whether that company is good about allowing you to keep it as long as you pay and then that way you'd be free to do as you please and get a new car when your credit boosts after the dust settles a bit or if the car stops working, etc.

That being said the trustee may not let you reaffirm when you're upside down that much.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know it was up to the trustee. 

So even if I've never been late and paid on time the trustee still might not let me keep it? 

Message 7 of 8
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you would have to have approval to keep the car...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.