Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To dispute or not following bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To dispute or not following bankruptcy

I filed Chapter 7 and it was discharged 10/2013.  I basically ignored my credit until 2015 when I realized I needed to be active in getting my score where I needed it in order to hopefully qualify for a mortgage.  I didn't realize that the CB could possibly report the information wrong following the bankruptcy.

I've gone from high 500s to high 600s and I'm happy with my progress, and I'm in the process of disputing an inaccurate late payment from 8/2016 which will hopefully help (second time disputing and the first time it actually was made worse).  This is the only negative item other than the items included with the bankruptcy.

My main question is I noticed that one of our auto loans is showing a late payment in 2016, a full 3 years after the debt was included in the bankruptcy.  Should I dispute that? I'm hesitant because I don't want any of my disputes to actually have a negative impact.

I was able to get a mortgage a year ago, and we are trying to either refinance or get an home equity loan to do home repairs.  We obviously want the best rate possible, but I'm not sure that the auto debt has that much of an impact. We are shooting for 720+ before we refinance.

I am clueless about all this, so any advice possible would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: To dispute or not following bankruptcy

So you were DC'ed 10/2013 and then a late showed up 3 yrs later on 08/2016? Question is were you late? If you have a late after DC it will stick BK or not. Or is it false reporting. Theres a small grey area there. Did you reaffirm or no.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

We did not reaffirm and we no longer had the vehicle at that time.  So it is a false late payment. 

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Have you filed a dispute? Listing a derog after DC is a violation. You could call the OC 1st and ask why was a late reported on my DC'ed account 3 yrs after the fact?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.