cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Inquiries for Capital One Bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too Many Inquiries for Capital One Bank?

Hello Everyone Smiley Happy

I have a question regarding Capital One Bank when it comes to their credit cards....

What is the inquiry threshold limit when applying and will calling them make a difference?

Yes, I know I have a ton of inquiries on my credit report (My most recent credit report shows 105 TU / 123 EQ/ 90 EX)

With the exception of 10 - 15 inquiries, all of those inquiries are from 1+ years ago. Over the past 3 months, inquires are limited to 2 (which both inquires were turned into approvals).

Does anyone know what is Capital One looking for? When I get the letter from the pre-approval, it keeps saying I was denied for "number or recent credit inquiries" but I dont know if they are looking at the past 6 months / 1 year / or the whole 2 years

My current open acounts include:

GM Financial - $18,109 Balance Owed / $22,987 Financed - Opened March 2020

Salal Credit Union Card: $500 Limit / $87 Balance (Auto Insurance) - Opened Dec. 2019

Indigo Credit Card: $300 Limit / $20 Balance (Tolls) - Opened September 2019 (I want to replace with Capital One as they dont increase limits)

First Premier Bank: $500 Limit / $0 Balance - Opened June 2020 

Merrick Bank: $300 Limit / $0 Balance - Opened July 2020

I am not trying to add any more credit cards to my mix (I think I am good with 4 cards and an auto loan for my rebuild) but I do want to replace some cards with better cards as I progress. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Too Many Inquiries for Capital One Bank?

They have a prequalification page.

That is a lot of inquiries and a lot of new accounts.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 6
KINGTRAUMATIC
Valued Member

On the CreditWise app from Capital One they show inquiries within the last 24 months. From their standards 0 (Excellent), 1-2 (Good), 3-5 (Average), 6+ (Below Average). I was approved while having 1 Inq being in the last 24 months, and 5 being in the last 12. I would assume though since your prequal directly states your inquiries you should wait until some fall off and continue checking the prequal. Don't waste a hard pull, especially since there's a prequal IMO. Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

3 inquiries...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using the pre-qualifications page to get that answer.

Yes, I know it is a lot of inquiries - Most of them come from trying to buy a car before I even filed bankruptcy (the dealership sent my application to 30+ banks when I applied online and then did it again after I came in to the dealership to buy. Their excuse afterwards was "I was trying to get you a better rate." 

The remaining ones are a mixture of applying for apartments and utilities.

I tried disputing the auto loans but not getting very far in doing it Smiley Sad  I never once wanted my application sent to the whole world. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definately not applying for the cards unless I get a pre-approval.

I have been checking every six months or so hoping that they are going to eventually let me get a card...

Thankfully, they are going to start falling off large chunks at a time over the next 6 months! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.