Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Financing with Affirm, Uplift etc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Travel Financing with Affirm, Uplift etc

I am currently sitting at a 600 credit score. Filed for bankruptcy bank in December, discharged in April. I currently have one credit card open with utilization around 2%.

I am looking to book some travel and was thinking about using the monthly pay method. Is anyone familiar with any of these companies and what was your experience as far as getting approved. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
texasguppie
Regular Contributor

Re: Travel Financing with Affirm, Uplift etc

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently sitting at a 600 credit score. Filed for bankruptcy bank in December, discharged in April. I currently have one credit card open with utilization around 2%.

I am looking to book some travel and was thinking about using the monthly pay method. Is anyone familiar with any of these companies and what was your experience as far as getting approved. 

I used Affirm to finance some necessary (but pricey) safety gear and the process was pretty straight forward.

As I checked out online the option for Affirm was there so I went for it...approval was quick but required I put down $200 on a $1000 purchase.

A week later I had another safety gear need and used the Affirm option at checkout and was instantly approved with no up front costs.

It's a HP and shows up on your credit report as an installment loan.

That's my .02 worth.

Message 2 of 15
texasguppie
Regular Contributor

@texasguppie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I used Affirm to finance some necessary (but pricey) safety gear and the process was pretty straight forward.

As I checked out online the option for Affirm was there so I went for it...approval was quick but required I put down $200 on a $1000 purchase.

A week later I had another safety gear need and used the Affirm option at checkout and was instantly approved with no up front costs.

It's a HP and shows up on your credit report as an installment loan.

That's my .02 worth.

...and if it helps; the first purchase was a HP using Experian.

The second purchase must have been an SP (if anything at all) because nothing appeared on my reports.

Message 3 of 15
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

I was approved for a $500 purchase on Wayfair using Affirm. No money down. Financing terms available up to 12 months. The CB used was Experian and my score was 640 at the time I checked. No HP until you accept the loan terms.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget about UpLift.  I tried their application (soft pull) and was instantly denied and the email I received said it was due to the deragatory info on my credit report, meaning the BK.

Does Affirm usually require a down payment for the first try?

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they do ask for a down payment based on what I read but obviously that doesnt apply to all of loans. I plan on trying to book the travel this Friday. I will report back with what happens. I paid the balance off on my credit card to bring my utilization down to zero, I dont even know if it will matter as far as my score but Ill see what happens. 

I havent found much information about approvals and scores at time of approval so I dont know what the basline is. I've read the min score was 600 and then I've read its 640.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to follow up, I tried to book with Affirm and I was denied. It stated degragatory information on my credit, which I assume was my bankruptcy that was discharged in April. 

Message 7 of 15
texasguppie
Regular Contributor

Perhaps it was because you were only three months post discharge.
My BK7 is still very visible on all three of my CR’s but I was one year past my discharge date when I was approved.
Hang in there.
It gets better with time.
Message 8 of 15
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

I have used Affirm now a few times and was approved despite my BK7.  Must be something else or its too fresh.

Starting FICO8 June 2017: EQ: 514 - EX: 491 - TU: 521 Pre-BK7
Current
FICO8 March 2023: EQ: 703 - EX- 680 - TU: 671
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used Affirm in 01/2017....approved for 2400.00 and no upfront cost.   Paid off within 8 months and used them again for another vacation and approved for 3300 and no upfront cost.  Just be aware they only report to EX...  Anybody use Uplift?  Experience?  Wonder if they report to all 3 CRA's. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.