Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Is Dead - Don't want loan after BK7

tag
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

Truck Is Dead - Don't want loan after BK7

Can anyone offer suggestions on what I should do?

My 2000 Toyota 4Runner's transmission (that was rebuilt earlier this year) has crapped the bed. I need a new vehicle. I was hoping the truck would last a while longer! 

Its 3-4k to put a new transmission in which is probably what the truck is worth. 

I dont have a lot of cash right now. Ideally I would buy something cheap and trade it for something else after I rebuild my credit a bit. 

I could probably pull off a $200 per month car note but dont really want to! 

Any ideas?

Siggy updated Feb 16 2023
Chapter 7 BK discharge: 12/19/22
Inquiries: 6/6mo 7/12mo 7/24mo – Latest inquiry: NFCU - Approved 01/23
Financial Goals: Continue to build by wellness business (currently a DBA), heal my credit report with time and good payment history
“You’re never gonna make the shots you don’t take, so you might as well fire away!” – Little Big Town (music group)

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Truck Is Dead - Don't want loan after BK7

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

My 2000 Toyota 4Runner's transmission (that was rebuilt earlier this year) has crapped the bed. I need a new vehicle. I was hoping the truck would last a while longer! 

Its 3-4k to put a new transmission in which is probably what the truck is worth. 

I dont have a lot of cash right now. Ideally I would buy something cheap and trade it for something else after I rebuild my credit a bit. 

Any ideas?

I look at it this way. a car dealer usually finds you financing but also hits you with a bunch of hard pulls to find the financing. Your credit will be so rock bottom as far as scores just from the bk7 the extra hp's wont matter. I know before my bk7 was discharged many car dealers sent me mailers guaranteeing me financing.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 12
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

Any ideas?

I look at it this way. a car dealer usually finds you financing but also hits you with a bunch of hard pulls to find the financing. Your credit will be so rock bottom as far as scores just from the bk7 the extra hp's wont matter. I know before my bk7 was discharged many car dealers sent me mailers guaranteeing me financing.

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

Any ideas?

Yeah that makes sense. Ive gotten some mailers already. 

Need to look and see of Cap 1 will pre-approve me. 

Im not discharged yet though. Id like to wait but not sure if I can wait that long. 

I am a NFCU member now. Will they finance to me with a BK7?

Financial Goals: Continue to build by wellness business (currently a DBA), heal my credit report with time and good payment history
“You’re never gonna make the shots you don’t take, so you might as well fire away!” – Little Big Town (music group)

Message 3 of 12
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

Any ideas?

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

Any ideas?

Im not discharged yet though. Id like to wait but not sure if I can wait that long. 

Ask your bk attorney about the questions on a car loan before discharge. As far as NFCU, I have read they are a bit skittish about approving unsecured cc's with high limits with less than 1 year post bk7 dc but i have no clue on auto loans.

Perhaps you should post that question in the auto loans section of the forum, im sure someone has the answer.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 4 of 12
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

Any ideas?

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

Any ideas?

Ask your bk attorney about the questions on a car loan before discharge. As far as NFCU, I have read they are a bit skittish about approving unsecured cc's with high limits with less than 1 year post bk7 dc but i have no clue on auto loans.

Perhaps you should post that question in the auto loans section of the forum, im sure someone has the answer.

Thanks! I will be calling my attorney today. 

And will post in auto forum.

Message 5 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There was no warranty with the overhaul?

Message 6 of 12
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

Update! Turns out my truck isnt as dead as I thought so it is being serviced and should be back on the road within a week or so. 

I am still looking to replace it but hopefully I can delay that task.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Message 7 of 12
Catbird_Seat
Contributor

Hopefully this will help you if you decide to get a new car later on. 

8/2020=My BK7 was discharged. 

2/2021= I got approved to refiance my car with Capital One, from a loan started 10/19 that I had kept through my BK.

8/2021=The dealership offered me almost what I owed on the car if I traded it in. I took the offer, custom ordered a new car & it was delievered 12/21.

12/21=Captial One approved my new car loan at 6.17%, which at the time I was going to refiance, but with rates what they currently are, I'm doing better than the average rates.

Message 8 of 12
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

@Catbird_Seat wrote:

Hopefully this will help you if you decide to get a new car later on. 

8/2020=My BK7 was discharged. 

2/2021= I got approved to refiance my car with Capital One, from a loan started 10/19 that I had kept through my BK.

8/2021=The dealership offered me almost what I owed on the car if I traded it in. I took the offer, custom ordered a new car & it was delievered 12/21.

12/21=Captial One approved my new car loan at 6.17%, which at the time I was going to refiance, but with rates what they currently are, I'm doing better than the average rates.

Thanks for the datapoints. I will keep these in mind.

Message 9 of 12
johngee9876

Did the rebuild not have a warranty? 

I was in a pretty bad spot not long after my BK (Chapter 7). 

I was fortunate that I was driving a car I owned, no payment. I hated the car with a passion but it got me to and from work and I was able to drive Uber in it. One night, on my way home from work, I was rear ended and the car was totaled. I was a little over a year out from DC. 

I went through Carvana. They have a soft pull system that tells you your terms before they do a HP. Essentially, you put in your info and the site will tell you what down payment and what monthly payment you're looking at on any car on the site. The down side is a lot of their cars are $10k+ 

I was able to finance a one year old SUV at 9% +/- and I paid it off in just under 2 years. The loan was $20k and my payment was $360 (the settlement from getting hit helped with the early payoff).

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.