Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to start my rebuilding journey

tag
climbingup88
Established Member

Trying to start my rebuilding journey

Hello all. I was officially discharged from bankruptcy on the 6th. I was following the guide by SM and pulled my credit report to ensure all things were reporting as they should. From what I can tell everything I included is reporting as IIB and current with a $0 balance. I applied for the Credit One credit card today but was denied. I included one of our local CUs in the bankruptcy and the other does not have a secured version of their credit card. I did check the pre-qual site for Capital One and the Platinum credit card popped up. What are my next steps? What should I do to begin my rebuilding journey the right way? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to start my rebuilding journey

I would take the cap 1 plat if you were pre-qualified for it. Let us know what you decide. 

Side-question: Were you denied for the credit one after you prequalified for it? 

Message 2 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

I would take the cap 1 plat if you were pre-qualified for it. Let us know what you decide. 

Side-question: Were you denied for the credit one after you prequalified for it? 

+1 Thats where I started. Grab it and it leads to better things down the road.

Message 3 of 13
climbingup88
Established Member

Yes. I did pre-qualify on their site as well as receive 3 emails from Credit One telling me about my offer.

Message 4 of 13
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Is it Cap1 or Credit One?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 13
climbingup88
Established Member

@medicgrrl wrote:
Is it Cap1 or Credit One?

I was denied Credit One. I checked the pre-qual site for Cap One and the Platinum card popped up. I burned Cap One in my bankruptcy and afraid they will deny me as well.

Message 6 of 13
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Was Cap1 charged off prior to your BK? They'll forgive you 1 year post charge off

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 13
climbingup88
Established Member

@medicgrrl wrote:
Was Cap1 charged off prior to your BK? They'll forgive you 1 year post charge off

Yes. They were charged off last summer.

Message 8 of 13
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

They should let you back in now. I don't think they'll show you a prequal if you were still on the blacklist. They're very forgiving.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 13
climbingup88
Established Member

@medicgrrl wrote:
They should let you back in now. I don't think they'll show you a prequal if you were still on the blacklist. They're very forgiving.

Thanks Medicgrrl! I went ahead and bit the bullet and was approved! 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.