Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Auto Loan

tag
mexley
Established Member

USAA Auto Loan

We were discharged on 1/21. We surrendered both of our vehicles. One of our cars was financed through USAA. I called them Friday to see when they would come get it. After wating on hold for 15 minutes i finally got in touch with the bankruptcy department. The lady that answered said that in order to pick the car up i would have to go online and download a form, fill it out, write a letter of intention to surrender, sign it, then fax everything to them and then they would contact me. I told her this debt was not reaffirmed and discharged, making it their property, why do i have to jump through hoops for you to come get it? She said thats just how they do business.
So...who has experience surrendering to USAA? What happens if I just dont do it? How long til they just come get it on their own?
SCORES AS OF 9/30/2015
FICO 8 Scores- Equifax=640 Transunion=614 Experian=620
FICO Auto Scores- Equifax=653 Transunion=673 Experian=590

Filed Ch7 9/24/15
341 Scheduled 11/17/15
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Auto Loan

It's on them now, they will come and get it.
Message 2 of 5
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@mexley wrote:
We were discharged on 1/21. We surrendered both of our vehicles. One of our cars was financed through USAA. I called them Friday to see when they would come get it. After wating on hold for 15 minutes i finally got in touch with the bankruptcy department. The lady that answered said that in order to pick the car up i would have to go online and download a form, fill it out, write a letter of intention to surrender, sign it, then fax everything to them and then they would contact me. I told her this debt was not reaffirmed and discharged, making it their property, why do i have to jump through hoops for you to come get it? She said thats just how they do business.
So...who has experience surrendering to USAA? What happens if I just dont do it? How long til they just come get it on their own?

Ive never done business with USAA but i did have a car that I didnt reaffirm through my BK. I got discharged last month and I had to bug the credit union to pick up the car. I emailed them almost every day asking them that I wanted the car picked up. Took almost 3 weeks and they finally did. They sent me a letter a week later stating they are putting the car in an auction and if i'm interested I could pay the full amount owed. First of all, they didn't agree with my offer when i tried to reaffirm (they wanted me to pay the personal loan i took) its cross collateraled. There was a reason why i filed BK but they wouldn't wanna work with me considering I been a member for 16 years. But anyway, I dont get these lenders sometimes, credit unions could be the worst.

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 3 of 5
holmesnmanny
Contributor

lol it's like having free rental car

You are under no obligation to do anything with regards to that car. Just be ready when they come to get it. If they were smart they'd have a system in place so that as soon as people were discharged they came and get it. Less opportunity for a loss if the car got damaged in the time it took them to come get it. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 4 of 5
mexley
Established Member

So, since the car is discharged do I have to keep full coverage insurance on it?
SCORES AS OF 9/30/2015
FICO 8 Scores- Equifax=640 Transunion=614 Experian=620
FICO Auto Scores- Equifax=653 Transunion=673 Experian=590

Filed Ch7 9/24/15
341 Scheduled 11/17/15
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.