Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA after BK

tag
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

USAA after BK

So I am a USAA member (Father is vet). I have a $500 amex card with USAA that will be IIB. Is USAA forgiving with IIB?

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: USAA after BK

@kr43002 wrote:

So I am a USAA member (Father is vet). I have a $500 amex card with USAA that will be IIB. Is USAA forgiving with IIB?

From what I recall they are not forgiving, and if you include them in BR they have an elephant's memory regarding future credit products.

I haven't been active on the forums in several years, though, so hopefully others will chime in and have better news for you.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@kr43002 wrote:

They are not at all forgiving.   They do give out secured cards for people with BK's, but if you owe them money they will never extend you credit unsecured.   Also many people have reported that once they filed BK against USAA, they lock you out of their online system, even for your auto insurance.

Seriously forget them.   Lots of fish in the sea.

Message 3 of 9
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

yea I only had the secured card with them. Had it for a year and a half, always around 15% util and never got unsecured. It was the only product I had with them. I honestly could care less if I loose them, it was kinda cool to be able to say I had an Amex.

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@kr43002 wrote:

They are not at all forgiving.   They do give out secured cards for people with BK's, but if you owe them money they will never extend you credit unsecured.   Also many people have reported that once they filed BK against USAA, they lock you out of their online system, even for your auto insurance.

Seriously forget them.   Lots of fish in the sea.

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 4 of 9
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

@kr43002  Do you have or have the ability to get a membership with NFCU? If so, they have an AMEX. NFCU loves BK consumers as long as they didn't suffer a loss (whether it be as a result of you filing BK or otherwise)

You can generally "get your foot in the door" with their secured card right after discharge...the secured card (as low as $200, set by you) typically graduates in 6 months to an unsecured credit line of $2,000. Once that happens (maybe even a month or two earlier) you would likely be able to get their More Reward AMEX...it's a great card as I've had it two years...It started with a 1k credit line and now sits at $13,000...and I'm eligible for a CLI in 2 days!

Best of luck!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 5 of 9
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

I will definitely have to look into that. My MOC is may 5th so I have quite some time to plan my rebuild. I read the website and I should be able to get a membership with them.

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Message 6 of 9
Ontime1010
Established Member

They were included in my ch13 for 6k. At first they took away full online access to their site and made me log in using their mobile site. I kept my insurance with them through this. A couple of years after my filing they sent me a letter stating they were reinstating full access to their site. A few months after my ch13 discharge (5 years) I applied for and received 2 CCs from them. 

Message 7 of 9
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I can't find USAA's secured card on their website. For the members that applied for it, do you have the link ?

Message 8 of 9
Papa_Bear
Frequent Contributor

@Andy77 USAA no longer offers a secured card. It was supposed to be revamped but it's almost like they gave up.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.