Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA

tag
Kaydee84
New Contributor

Re: USAA

Thank you all for your help. I just got my paperwork to begin the bankruptcy process. My attorney suggests to cancel any bank account that you have money in if you are including them in the bankruptcy. He says it is possible that they will use that money to offset the debt. So I have opened new accounts elsewhere and will be moving my money shortly. Thanks again!

Message 11 of 18
Scupra
Super Contributor

Good choice Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 12 of 18
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

I am pretty sure Pizza has some info on this, hopefully she sees this Smiley Happy I think at a minimum they will lock your online access like stated.

+1

Specific to USAA, if they are included in a BK (or you have a CO with them) you'll only be able to use their "mobile" website (not to be confused with the mobile app).  The functionality is limited compared to their 'regular' site.

@pizza1 has reported that she is unable to make insurance payments using her credit card on the mobile site... as Scupra suggests she will have more info. Smiley Wink

oh boy...USAA...LOL...

I burned them in my BK7 with a CC, (they were my highest burn of everyone included... $8k).  I had a savings acct with them as well, and was advised to close it out before filing, which I did. 

Just so you know...USAA has a VERY VERY strict policy.....They will NOT let you have checking, savings, investments, loans, credit of any kind at all, NOTHING EXCEPT your current insurance policy, (and your rates will go up as well),  for .........7 yrs from the discharge date.  That is THEIR personal policy, and you WILL NOT get around it....ever, until 7 yrs is up for them.  

You are also blocked from regular webiste on a computer, and if you try to log in and big red box shows up on the screen and says...YOUVE HAD A BANKRUPTCY!  lol...

only the mobile site is available, and you cant pay your insurance bill online....(i did find a way around that though....read below) Smiley Wink

I call in every month and pay my insurance bill over the phone with......one of my credit cards, LMAO!!!  

USAA will be on my list to "get back in with"  09/2020...Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 18
Kaydee84
New Contributor

Ugh... sounds like a major PITA... My husband and I will burn them for about 4k ish. I do like them overall though so I'll wait the 7 years from discharge. Thanks for the info!

Message 14 of 18
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

I work in the industry and if you bank with a creditor that you have debt with (credit card only) the bank can't use the "right to offset" funds so your account is fine.  If you had a loan with the bank they can go into checking/savings only to withdraw the past due deficiency on the debt.  This doesn't apply to CU's as they have different rules/regulations and most certainly will use the right to offset on ANY debt.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info i may never get back with them except my car and home insurance. I am burning them to the tune of about 35k had a loan 

Message 16 of 18
Kaydee84
New Contributor

gsully that's good to know. 

Message 17 of 18
missy42
Regular Contributor

You did the right thing.  I burned USAA in my BK in 2007, took 7 years to get back into their graces.  This time around it's NFCU to the tune of around $41K.  I have no credit products with USAA so I moved my retirement and disability to USAA.  Hopeing they will let me back in after I discharge next year.  Good luck to you and everyone else I'm lerking to learn as much as I can so once I discharge I can start working on my credit again.

Filed Ch 13- 8/29/17
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.