cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undocumented income in CH7

tag
GeorgieBush

Undocumented income in CH7

In 2021, I had ~$20,000 of undocumented landscaping income (Venmo and Paypal) from customers who paid >$600. I have received no 1099s. I failed to report this on 2021 tax return. I have no official or registered business. My only other income was $1500 W2 from separate job.

Intend to file CH7 ASAP. Due to the risk of these transactions and tax return discrepancy being uncovered in bankruptcy, I'm wondering if and how I should amend 2021 tax return. The risk is probably slim, as my bankruptcy is otherwise very simple (virtually no income, assets, accounts, marriage, transactions etc.) and there has been none of this undocumented income or transactions for over 9 months.

I had related expenses: probably ~$5000 paid under the table to various helpers (Venmo) as well as transportation, equipment rental, tool purchases, etc. I failed to include anything related to this business on taxes.

If I report income from my customers, it presumably becomes obvious to IRS that customers failed to file their 1099s. I'm concerned about potential liabilities/risks to my customers as well

Does anyone have experience with how their Venmo or Paypal is looked at in CH7? Do they just ask you if you have those accounts and then ask for recent statements if you do? What if the accounts have been closed?

The main reason behind all this is that I've been struggling throughout this time with increasing health problems from my cancer treatment that have interfered with my ability to work, manage finances and life in general. 

I've started the process with upsolve.org

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Undocumented income in CH7

@GeorgieBush wrote:

In 2021, I had ~$20,000 of undocumented landscaping income (Venmo and Paypal) from customers who paid >$600. I have received no 1099s. I failed to report this on 2021 tax return. I have no official or registered business. My only other income was $1500 W2 from separate job.

Intend to file CH7 ASAP. Due to the risk of these transactions and tax return discrepancy being uncovered in bankruptcy, I'm wondering if and how I should amend 2021 tax return. The risk is probably slim, as my bankruptcy is otherwise very simple (virtually no income, assets, accounts, marriage, transactions etc.) and there has been none of this undocumented income or transactions for over 9 months.

I had related expenses: probably ~$5000 paid under the table to various helpers (Venmo) as well as transportation, equipment rental, tool purchases, etc. I failed to include anything related to this business on taxes.

If I report income from my customers, it presumably becomes obvious to IRS that customers failed to file their 1099s. I'm concerned about potential liabilities/risks to my customers as well

Does anyone have experience with how their Venmo or Paypal is looked at in CH7? Do they just ask you if you have those accounts and then ask for recent statements if you do? What if the accounts have been closed?

The main reason behind all this is that I've been struggling throughout this time with increasing health problems from my cancer treatment that have interfered with my ability to work, manage finances and life in general. 

I've started the process with upsolve.org

Welcome @GeorgieBush 

Here we will always say seek legal advice when it comes to all these situations outside of a simple debt no assest case. But:

"Under the American Rescue Plan Act, people who sell goods or services on platforms like Etsy, eBay and other sites that use third-party transaction networks – like PayPal, Cash App and Venmo – will be issued a tax form called a 1099-K for online sales totaling $600 or more starting next year.  "

https://www.augustachronicle.com/story/news/2021/11/16/irs-1099-tax-limit-guidelines-for-online-bank... 

Looks like it might show up next year once the bookeepng is done.

Message 2 of 13
GeorgieBush

I have virtually no assets: no funds, no cash, no valuables, no vehicle, no real estate. All I have are basically just everyday possesions. A handful of $500 items. 

That law applies to designated business transactions. These were designated personal. 

Message 3 of 13
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

@GeorgieBush wrote:

I have virtually no assets: no funds, no cash, no valuables, no vehicle, no real estate. All I have are basically just everyday possesions. A handful of $500 items. 

That law applies to designated business transactions. These were designated personal. 

Only way to know for sure is to talk to an attorney. Mine did a free consult.

Siggy updated Feb 16 2023
Chapter 7 BK discharge: 12/19/22
Inquiries: 6/6mo 7/12mo 7/24mo – Latest inquiry: NFCU - Approved 01/23
Financial Goals: Continue to build by wellness business (currently a DBA), heal my credit report with time and good payment history
“You’re never gonna make the shots you don’t take, so you might as well fire away!” – Little Big Town (music group)

Message 4 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

It seems like you are breaking the law.

I would not continue to do so through BK.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@GeorgieBush 

PayPal Policy:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/HELP543 

"If you meet the IRS threshold in a given calendar year, PayPal will send you a Form 1099-K in January of the following year and file this form with the IRS by the required due date."

Message 6 of 13
LakeLife
Established Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

It seems like you are breaking the law.

I would not continue to do so through BK.

This would definitely be my advice as well.

Message 7 of 13
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

You could probably benefit from talking to a lawyer that is also a CPA before talking to a BK lawyer.

Financial Goals: Continue to build by wellness business (currently a DBA), heal my credit report with time and good payment history
“You’re never gonna make the shots you don’t take, so you might as well fire away!” – Little Big Town (music group)

Message 8 of 13
GeorgieBush

Any leads on finding a CPA who is also BK attorney? I don't know where to start. Seems like anyone in the US would work

Message 9 of 13
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

@GeorgieBush wrote:

Any leads on finding a CPA who is also BK attorney? I don't know where to start. Seems like anyone in the US would work

Where do you live? You should be able to search your state bar associations website. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.