cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Update 1/7) Order of Discharge Granted!

tag
2b2rich
Established Contributor

(Update 1/7) Order of Discharge Granted!

Updated to add Order of Discharge Granted! (1/7)

Just logged into pacer and saw two orders dated this morning, one order for the case closed and one for the discharge granted!  I think I may be able to sleep again at night!

Just came from my 341 and it was just as most people have stated, quick and painless!  Lasted maybe 4 minutes and when it was concluded the Trustee told me that she is going to request that the case be closed.

Still have the 60 day wait, but all I need to do now is the other financial course.

I feel so much better.

Updated to show timeline events from 10/1 - 10/9 (filed and date for MOC received)!

I received an email this morning from a very nice Paralegal who has been working on my case.  She was extremely helpful all day long explaining everything and asking questions (all through email due to my hearing impairment).  As of about an hour ago, I received the documents to go over, print, fill in and sign and bring with me to the appointment on the 1st!

I would have loved to come out of this without any lates but I did get a notification yesterday that Home Depot updated to show a 30 day Smiley Sad.  I know there is disagreement over whether or not it matters, but it is a personal thing to me, as I had none on any of the 3 reports before this, it was a bitter pill.

Oh well,  C'est la vie.

I can't seem to find the answer to this here or anywhere else, but I would like to know how long it took for your attorney to have you come in and sign after you submitted everything he asked for and paid him?

I hired a local attorney and went for the consultation at which time he told me that I passed the means for a 7 and let me know how much his fees would be.

8/29 - So I paid him on 8/29, and he emailed me the next steps.  I completed the Credit Counseling to file that same day, at which time he sent me a link to the BK Packet to complete. 

9/6 -confirmed with him that they received the completed packet.

9/9 - I asked if he could give me time frame that I could expect to sign/file and he replied that they were working on my case and would let me know soon.

I don't want to keep bothering him, but I have never done anything like this before and maybe because he told me mine would be easy, I am wondering how long most of you waited from the time you submitted your documents (or filled out the packet), paid your attorney, and the time you went in to sign everything and them actually file? 

I'm wondering if he doesn't have it filed by the end of the month, will I need to recalculate things like income and resubmitt the newest statements, etc? Mean while, I had zero lates when I submitted everything and now I'm starting to sit on pins and needles.

9/25 - Received documents and have an appointment on the 1st to sign!

10/1 - Turned in all of my signed paperwork to the attorney and he said it should be filed by tomorrow (10/2) sometime and that I'm done until the MOC in a couple of months.

10/2 - Direct Deposit issues.  The night before the attorney intended to file, something told me to check and see if my direct deposit was pending at either CU. I had logged into my SSA account and requested it be moved from a CU that was going to be IIB, to my main CU that I am sure will be safe since I don't owe them any $.  According to the SSA guidelines on the website, this was plenty of time for my October deposit to go to the new account. Nope!  There it was, pending deposit in the old CU (IIB) to hit on the 3rd, the day they were to file.  So, I sent the (super nice) Paralegal at my attorney's an email asking for advice.  The DD wouldn't be available until the morning of the 3rd and here we were about to file on the 2nd.  She said it would be best to hold off until after I cleaned out the account and then let her know and she would file then because it was very possible for them to find out about the BK and freeze my account before I had a chance to withdraw the money.  We are talking about $1,200, but that is a lot to me and as bad as I wanted to file that day, I waited.

10/4 - Thanks to shared branching, I was able to withdraw all of the direct deposit and stick it under my pillow for the time being.

10/7 - Let my attorney's office know that everything was done on my end and to please go ahead with filing.  The next response from them was that afternoon with confirmation of the filing and case number. (This was SUCH a RELIEF!)  That was 2 days ago and I have not received notification yet from any of the monitors that my any of my CRs have been updated to show the BK7, so maybe it's just taking awhile.  I do know that my score is rapidly dropping for the 30 day lates that are appearing, one or two notices before filing and a few since filing.  I am still getting calls also.

10/9 - I received the notification from my attorney that my MOC will be Nov 7th.  This is exactly 30 days from the filing date.

11/7 - Meeting of Creditors Completed.  Took about 5 minutes and Trustee said she is going to request the case be closed. Now to finish the last financial course and wait the 60 days required before a discharge can be entered.

1/7/2020 - Showing in pacer: the order for the case closed and the order for the discharge granted!

1/9/2020 - EX & EQ updated the BK to 'Discharged'.  About 15 accounts on EQ also updated, all at once.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Submitting documents to filing time frame?

Hmmm.. I was with my brother when he filed. The lawyer did the paperwork and filed immediately after he paid on the spot before we even left the office. 

Message 2 of 19
spartanspirit
Contributor

I had a consultation on sept 3, came back with the required docs on the 13th, had to wait for a paystub, but filed on the 18th and my 341 is set in October
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I turned in my paperwork last Thursday and I’m filing tomorrow so three business days later. I imagine this really depends on your attorneys case load and how much help he has. If he’s doing all of the work himself it might take a while. If he has a team of paralegals or other attorneys helping it will much faster.
Message 4 of 19
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Thanks, I have no idea what sort of case load he has, but he does have two paralegals working with him.

Message 5 of 19
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Can someone please help me write a nice and professional email asking something along the lines of '**bleep** is taking so long'?!

tomorrow will be 3 weeks  since I turned in my packet and all fees had been paid in full before that. :/

Message 6 of 19
sccredit
Valued Contributor

i worked with my attorney for about 4 months before filing but I had an extremely complex case.

Message 7 of 19
Harriet
New Contributor

Mine took about three weeks. After 2 I just called and asked how things were going and when did they think it would be ready to file.  Week three I went in and signed, it was filed that day. 

Just give them a quick call or swing by.  Probably quicker than an email.  

Message 8 of 19
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Harriet wrote:

Mine took about three weeks. After 2 I just called and asked how things were going and when did they think it would be ready to file.  Week three I went in and signed, it was filed that day.  I did this (contacted him) after a week and was told 'we're working on your case and will let you know soon'.  That was 2 weeks ago and I have heard nothing else from him since then so I did end up emailing this afternoon, but haven't heard back.

Just give them a quick call or swing by.  Probably quicker than an email.  Not really. I'm hearing impaired, and his office is about 15-20 miles from me.

@ He told me from the consultation that mine would be easy, but if he ran into problems, he should at least make me aware of them, so I don't believe that is the problem. I have emailed him a couple of times and just get a short sentence reply that tells me nothing.

Message 9 of 19
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Re: (Update 9/25) Submitting documents to filing time frame?

Updated to say that I finally have an appointment to sign this coming Tuesday! I am feeling a little better!  The paralegal who worked with me through email today was awesome and that helped a great deal!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.