cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very confused about TransUnion score

tag
rgh64

Very confused about TransUnion score

Filed BK7 in August 2012, discharged November 2012.  Have been cleaning and everything is correct except some Capital One errors on Experian.  Have been approved for Kohls and Target.  Applied for the Walmart card and was denied.  Denial letter shows a TransUnion score of 477.  This didn't make sense as everything had been kept current right up until the bankruptcy and the bankruptcy, as bad as it is, is the only derogatory on TransUnion.  All old accounts show IIB with a $0 balance.  I signed up for the free 7 day trial on TransUnion and the score they gave me was 707!  How can this be?  Both scores came from TransUnion and they are off 230 points!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: Very confused about TransUnion score

not trying to be rude at all by this...however, please take some time to read the basics on these forums.  Note the difference between FICO scoring and FAKO scoring.  This alone will answer any questions you have about this as well as educate you about how you may want to proceed with your rebuilding efforts.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 2 of 5
rgh64

I know the difference in FAKO and FICO and if there had been a reasonable difference I would have not asked the question.  But 230 points, really?  In fact, all my FAKOs are in the 680+ area,  I pulled my full report and there were no errors.  Sucks to be me I guess.  No baddies other than the really bad BK7, filed 9 months ago and dischared 6 months ago.  I thought it would be higher than 477.

Message 3 of 5
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

go to your local CU and get a secured card...start slowly....sadly, only the FICO matters.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, the score when applying with GECRB (e.g. Wal-Mart, Men's Wearhours, Paypal, etc.) is an internal score and has nothing to do with FICO. Their score tops 620 vs. FICO's 850ish. The score pulled via TU's service is also a FAKO called a VantageScore and that tops 990. So, you could pull your real FICO from myFICO and see a different score entirely.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.