Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanton Destruction at My Creditor's Meeting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanton Destruction at My Creditor's Meeting

Wow, that was something. I was the sixth person to be heard and had to listen in on the first 5 calls.

4 continuances and one outright dismissal. I'm a pro se filer (Upsolve) and she tried to lump us all in together. She claimed we hadn't sent in any paperwork or verifiable ID's. Luckily I actually had sent everything in and she was able to find it after I objected to the continuance. The other two Pro Se cases were continued.

There were two cases represented by attorneys that were also continued because of the lack of verifiable ID. I bet those people are pissed. 

All in all mine went well and I hope my discharge comes through on schedule.

So, if you're thinking of filing (attorney or not) make sure they get color copies of your license and social security card whether it's asked for or not.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Wanton Destruction at My Creditor's Meeting

Congrats! The folks/lawyer before me got a rash after the total income didnt match what was filed on 2 separate papers. Judge looks at the lawyer and says why did you bring this to me. You know better. I guess your getting so old you'll need velcro tennis shoes soon. Huh wut?!?!

I giggled a bit. Quiet in the courtroom. Ooops. I went next. Finally someone who has their documemts in order as I sat with my lawyer. Gone in 5 mins. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
millionsofmiles
New Contributor

I filed my 13 in 2017. (DC early January 2021). I used an attorney but I'm contrasting this post with my own experience and I guess I should consider myself lucky. I never even saw the trustee in my case, My attorney and I went into a room with the trustee's designee and before I knew it, it was over. No pain...and in fact, very pleasant. I don't know if this was a factor but I could tell that my attorney was very well-respected there, and appeared to be well-liked, 

Moving forward, I never once regretted using an attorney. The amount I spent was a pittance next to all the trouble I would probably have had otherwise (IMHO). He was awesome. Always answered all my questions, and was on top of everything. 

His advice was invaluable. I also look back at my hearing aa a very positive experience, and I credit so much of that to him, as well as the trustee's designee. I am so sorry to hear you had this experience. 

Message 3 of 5
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@millionsofmiles wrote:

I filed my 13 in 2017. (DC early January 2021). I used an attorney but I'm contrasting this post with my own experience and I guess I should consider myself lucky. I never even saw the trustee in my case, My attorney and I went into a room with the trustee's designee and before I knew it, it was over. No pain...and in fact, very pleasant. I don't know if this was a factor but I could tell that my attorney was very well-respected there, and appeared to be well-liked, 

Moving forward, I never once regretted using an attorney. The amount I spent was a pittance next to all the trouble I would probably have had otherwise (IMHO). He was awesome. Always answered all my questions, and was on top of everything. 

His advice was invaluable. I also look back at my hearing aa a very positive experience, and I credit so much of that to him, as well as the trustee's designee. I am so sorry to hear you had this experience. 

I agree, in a 13 the lawyer's fees come out of the plan you agree to with the trustee, so maybe it was a little more but wasn't significantly more than going it alone and IMO actually saved me some $$ in the long run as the trustee objected to my plan and we ended up having a hearing, my attorney new what the judge would and wouldn't agree to (trustee was 10000% certain I was getting a bonus, at my attorney's prompting the judge asked me when I'd know for sure I wasn't getting one, payday was the next day, didn't get one and we moved forward) 

Message 4 of 5
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

In my case my attorney and the judge seemed to be old chums. before i was called they had a 20 minute discusion/chit chat about personal things that had nothing to do with my bankruptcy. needless to say my case flew through with no fuss.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.