cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were you able to keep any zero bal CC's?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to keep any zero bal CC's?

I will probably be filing CH 7 and have a zero balance Care Credit card.   I know I do not have to claim it in my BR (since there is no debt), but will they close it anyways?   My pets are my life and it is good to have for vet emergency.  

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

Re: Were you able to keep any zero bal CC's?

I believe no account account should survive BK even with a $0 balance, however, my CFNA account survived with a $0 balance. I believe it fell throught the cracks and the lawyer overlooked it. 

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that gives me some hope.. Smiley Happy

When you say your lawyer overlooked it, you mean it just wasn't included with your BR petition?   

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning,

I closed all of my zero balance accounts so they would post on my reports as "closed by consumer" instead of "IIB" as well as those who I did not want to "burn" prior to me filing.  

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am praying to keep it open.  I have a 10K limit, and if I close it out before BR and then reapply after BR, I will be lucky to get a $500 limit, and that probably won't be until several months after BR. 

I know credit can be rebuilt after BR, but if something happened to my cats before then, I would not have the cash to cover it (not an emergency surgery - I can cover regular care).  IME, most vets do not do payment plans, especially ER vets.

Message 5 of 18
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

I have been told by a few people that even with no balances, you still have to include it as there is still a contract for lending. Others have said you don't if you have a zero balance. So take all that with a grain of salt. Depending on the lender, even if not included, odds are they may still close it down and include it anyways once it hits your reports. There isn't anything you can do to prevent that except for closing it down yourself. Good luck.

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if I can reaffirm it?   I know that is normally done with secured accounts like cars, but if it is a cc you want to keep?   I was never late and have had it for several years, so I am wondering if they would take those things into consideration.

Or option 2....don't contact them and see how it goes....

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur with what @Azuieldrago said.  You can not reaffirm a credit card.  You can't pick and choose which creditors you're including.  I filed chapter 13. I closed all accounts that had perfect history ahead of time, and they still say "IIB"  (2) of the accounts survived, I'm not sure how, especially when I closed them myself... I even ordered new cards and tested them out, they are operating normal! Some creditors delete the entire tradeline from your credit...  It just depends.  

Message 8 of 18
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous as its unsecured it wont/can't be reaffirmed. You lawyers job is to get you debt free. That includes CC that you prefer to keep. I tried that with NFCU as I wanted to salvage my relationship with them. Even if your lawyer did happen to sign off on it, the judge would probably deny it and the CC company probably wouldn't respond to it either. Your best bet is to have it included for the sake of not risking dismissal if your trustee is a bit OCD about it things being included. In reality, you should close it down before you file and see what happens a few months after DC. If you already filed, best to include it. Who is the CC through? 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 9 of 18
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

Re-read your OP. Its Sync, they are card closing happy at the moment. It is almost guaranteed it will be closed the moment they hear about it. Esp. if you have another card that is being included that will alert them to your BK. Sorry but you will have to find a way to but that money away for when needed until you can rebuild. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.