Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I doing wrong?

tag
Kayceegee
Established Member

What am I doing wrong?

So i filed bk7 in feb of 2020 and was discharged in june 2020. Since then Ive gotten a secured card through regions with CL 500, Capital one quicksilver CL 3300, and discover student 1000. I use them every month but for the most oart i try to pay them in full at due date. Sometimes I will carry a balance on the capital one nothing over 300 but I monitor my fico using the fico app and my credit score seems to take a drastic hit every month. It will randomly go up 20 points and then if the balances are paid in full it seems like it will go down by 15. Is there a method im missing? How do I keep my score increasing every month?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: What am I doing wrong?

AZEO -

All Zero Except One

You want to leave a small balance on one of your cards and have the rest report $0.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 6
Kayceegee
Established Member

Okay thank you so much! I will follow that.

Message 3 of 6
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:

AZEO -

All Zero Except One

You want to leave a small balance on one of your cards and have the rest report $0.

Also note that you should pay the others down to $0 BEFORE the statement cuts.  Treat them like cash, use the card and then pay it immediately so it will REPORT a $0 balance.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 4 of 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Yeah it's great to OCD about having a card report a $0 balance but unless you are planning on applying for new credit it's really not a big deal.

I pay mine off and don't use them and enjoy the $0 balance reporting for a while.  Then I'll use it... let 1 statement post with a balance and pay it off again.  Most of the time the score doesn't even move anyway.

I've got my cards and installment loans already and am on cruise control until the PR falls off my reports in late 2023/early 2024 so I really don't care if my score fluctuates  +/- a few points here or there.  It doesn't really matter because I'm not applying for new credit.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@KayceegeeAZEO is 50/50. Some live by it some dont. I have been AZEO since BK. Yes I've run thousands thru the cards knowing it will be paid and reap the rewards. I wont pay interest. Banks are rich enough. Pay me to use your card. I see something I want outside of living expenses which the card is used for. I know its in savings because I pay myself 10% of my paycheck in savings. I buy it. Get CB and still stay at AZEO.

I look at it this way. We are rebuilders. We started at the bottom. Staying at AZEO you will see the gains in scores as rebuilding and time moves ahead staying at 5% aggregate util for me all these yrs. Scores go up. More incentive to keep going. Then you cash in scores. For a short while I was in 750 territory. I went on a 3 card new SUV spree. Yeah I dropped. So what. It was well worth it. Scores stay stable due to AZEO as you move up the ladder.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.