cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens after the last payment is made in a chapter 13 in NYS?

tag
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

What happens after the last payment is made in a chapter 13 in NYS?

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what the process is after the last payment in a chapter 13 payment in NYS?

Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

Re: What happens after the last payment is made in a chapter 13 in NYS?

Not sure about NY, but the consensus seems to be you just have to wait. The trustee's office has to finalize the paperwork in your case and the process seems to take forever. I received several documents before the actual discharge but it came eventually. Congratulations on making it out! It's such a hard feat to accomplish!
NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 2 of 6
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Thank you. It seems to be moving fast. Last payment was supposed to be 08/13/2013 but somehow they took more and it was paid a month early. My lawyers offices sent me paperwork to sign before i could give them a call to see what i needed to do next. She said that was the last thing and now we have to wait to see if the creditors have an objection by 08/24/2013.

Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 3 of 6
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

You can plan on it taking a while.

I made my last Ch13 payment in Feb... and didn't get my discharge till May.

It's a slow process... with all the paperwork, account reconciliation... etc... etc... etc...

Message 4 of 6
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Do you know when you get the money back you have overpaid? My employer sent two more payments after they were supposed to stop.

Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 5 of 6
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@Believe1970 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Do you know when you get the money back you have overpaid? My employer sent two more payments after they were supposed to stop.

You'll get it back when the trustee balances the books.  I ended up getting about $40 back a month or so after I sent the final payment.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.