cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to existing credit cards after a BK?

tag
Viper786
Regular Contributor

What happens to existing credit cards after a BK?

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. He is about to file BK7 within the next week or so and wants to know what happens to current credit cards in good standing that he wants to keep. He has a capital one cash card that he would like to keep and wants to know if that's possible. Also, when he files for BK7 are all cards supposed to have a 0 balance? The lawyer he talked to said that all existing cards you have will be closed by the creditors as soon as BK is discharged. Is that true?

EQ - 701 FICO - ScoreWatch (8/2016) | TU - 754 FICO - Fico 8 (8/2016) | EX - 710 Fico - Fico 8 (8/2016)
Amazon Store Card - $10,000 | Amex BCE - $2k | Barclaycard Ring - $2.5k | Capital One Platinum - $7,500 | Capital One Venture - $10,000 | Capital One VentureOne - $7500 | Chase Freedom - $3.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred - $1500 | Discover It - $4200 | Ebates Visa - $25,000 | Macy's - $1700 | Lowes - $12,000 | Walmart MasterCard - $15,000
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Re: What happens to existing credit cards after a BK?

In my experience after I filed CH 7 BK, The creditors closed all of my accounts themselves. Most creditors will close the cards whether or not they are included. You might want to tell your friend to contact his creditors too ask about their policies. 

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 2 of 10
Comet21
Regular Contributor

Most if not all of your creditors are going to close the accounts. Macy's, which I had not used in 3 years and had a $0 balance sent a letter that they were closing my account and it showed as IIB. I disputed it and they just deleted the entire account.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Comet21 wrote:

Most if not all of your creditors are going to close the accounts. Macy's, which I had not used in 3 years and had a $0 balance sent a letter that they were closing my account and it showed as IIB. I disputed it and they just deleted the entire account.

+1

I had several zero balance cards, they all were closed automatically. Most of the large cc co's subscribe to a BK notification service, so even if you leave their card off the petition because you don't owe them any money, they still receive notification of your BK. I have heard of a few cards slipping through, but I did not experience it...lol.

I also had to sign an affidavit with my BK attorney that I had cut up all my credit cards when I filed.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of our existing cards were closed automatically by the creditor before bankruptcy... even though we didn't have a balance.  The only one that miraculously made it through bankruptcy without being closed was Macy's... not sure how, but I'm very happy as that is my oldest card.   It did not have a balance at the time and we didn't include it in our bankruptcy.

Message 5 of 10
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

My old Plains VISA (now Mid-America) and my New Millennium secured card were both paid to $0-Balance prior to filing, weren't IIB and are still open. I use them every month and even used them between filing and discharge.

Message 6 of 10
Comet21
Regular Contributor

That seems to be a very BK friendly creditor. Be thankful for that because not all are like that. We are disputing Macy's as IIB when they had a $0 balance and had not been used in years. We don't want the credit, we just want the derogatory off of our report. Not sure how much of a boost it would have but when you have a BK you need all the help you can get.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 3 CC prior to my filing last summer, 2 of which had zero balance, and they all were closed as IIB.

Message 8 of 10
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@Comet21 wrote:
That seems to be a very BK friendly creditor. Be thankful for that because not all are like that. We are disputing Macy's as IIB when they had a $0 balance and had not been used in years. We don't want the credit, we just want the derogatory off of our report. Not sure how much of a boost it would have but when you have a BK you need all the help you can get.

Yeah, I guess I got lucky - at least with the Mid-America account. I assume New Millennium wasn't so keen on closing the account because that would have forced them to return my security-deposit.Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My ex mother in law told me when she filed BK about 7 years ago, he was surprised his Sears CC that was opened back in 1979 survived it. She was able to see her scores bounce back into the 700s within a year after discharge

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.