Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my mortgage in Bk13???

tag
Rwil72
Regular Contributor

What happens to my mortgage in Bk13???

If I am current on my mortgage payment what happens to that mortgage if I file Chapter 13? Do I have to include it with the payment to the trustee or do they just allow me to keep making my payments to the mortgage company as usual.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: What happens to my mortgage in Bk13???

In most bankruptcy jurisdictions, you simply continue to pay your mortgage directly to your lender outside of bankruptcy. But some courts require debtors to send their mortgage payments to the bankruptcy trustee as part of their Chapter 13 plan—especially if you’re late on your payment when you file.

Before you file your case and propose a repayment plan to the court, talk to a bankruptcy attorney in your area or research the rules in your jurisdiction to learn more about how your bankruptcy court treats mortgage payments in Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/bankruptcy/pay-mortgage-chapter-13-bankruptcy.html 

Message 2 of 5
Rwil72
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the info.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rwil72  Ime, my mortgage was included in my Chapter 13 (I paid it to the trustee). 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is paid directly to the lender so was my car. Everything else I included in my bk case and paid the trustee.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.