cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best plan after dismissing a bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best plan after dismissing a bankruptcy?

Last year we filed for ch. 7.  After 6 months, it still had not discharged.  We then converted to ch. 13 because the stress was simply overwhelming.  After converting we learned that we could dismiss it ourselves rather than have the federal government controlling our affairs so we did.  So far I have settled every account except for one.  What is the best plan to take from here?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: What is the best plan after dismissing a bankruptcy?

You could GW the creditors and ask them to update the information.  However I just read that when settled for less than the amount owed, creditors won't usually agree to GW but it might be worth a shot.  Other than that, open some new tradelines and just never be late and PIF each month.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to convert from ch7 to ch13? I would rather wipe out my debt than have to pay any of them back. The ch7 stays on your report for 8-10 years, the ch13 stays on for a tad less.

And just curious, when you "settled," you debt. Did you settle for less? If so, do you realize you will need to pay taxes on the "forgiven," amount. They will send you a "1099," so if you originally owed lets say $5000 on on credit card and they agreed to let you pay 1/2 $2500, than you will owe taxes on $2500 on the forgiven amount.

Catchmeifyoucan
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what is GW?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time, the ch. 7 rules had changed and it did not look like it would discharge due to the amount of my income.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW = Good Will Letter
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.