cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What percentage go back into debt after bankruptcy?

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

What percentage go back into debt after bankruptcy?

The amount of people that get back into debt and go back to old habits after they finish a bankruptcy. Are there statistics on this?

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: What percentage go back into debt after bankruptcy?

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

The amount of people that get back into debt and go back to old habits after they finish a bankruptcy. Are there statistics on this?

I doubt it, but it is probably a lot higher percentage than it should be, which is likely why credit education was added to the bankruptcy process. I know it took a chapter 7 filing, after a much earlier chapter 13 before I ever took a long hard look at my credit habits. It is often the case and was in my case, the habits of the debtor that is the root cause of the difficulties. Habits are a funny thing though, and if new habits are established, they can be just as powerful as the bad habits were. I now have a habit of paying early and often...usually at least twice a month on every card. As a result of establishing that habit, it drives me up a wall to have balances showing. I doubt I cane ever not have habitual behaviors, so the only option for me was to redirect it to good habits.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What percentage go back into debt after bankruptcy?

from debt.org: Repeat Filers

Recent studies have found that 8 percent of those who file for bankruptcy have filed at least once before. These repeat filers are responsible for 16 percent of all bankruptcy cases.

https://www.debt.org/bankruptcy/statistics/

This is probably not the whole picture since I’m sure some percentage go back into debt but don’t file again.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.