Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do next

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: What to do next

@Startnover2 wrote:

My slow payment occured with my car payment when I lost my job.  Yes it happend 1 year after my BK.  I have 1 year of great payment then lost my job.  60 days late on my car note.  It is caught up now

Start GW'ing your little heart out is all I can say. Try anything and brown nose to try and get those lates removed.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 11 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

^^^Agree.

Sometimes we have setbacks after starting to rebuild. The setback can be over come, but it will take time. The best thing to do is to continue to pay on time now. Keep sending those Goodwill letters in to have the lates removed. Worst case senerio, the lates are never removed. However, the older they become the less weight they have on your score. Eventually they will come off your report anyway. The GW letters just speed that process up...

Message 12 of 17
Startnover2
Established Member

Re: What to do next good

please provide an example of what a good will letter is

Starting Score: 497
Current Score: 523
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Startnover2 wrote:

please provide an example of what a good will letter is

You can search for samples on here or Google. I would just say to make them short, simple and sweet. Also, in your own words will always do better.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 14 of 17
Startnover2
Established Member

Thank you so much for all your help.  This forum has been a live saver

Starting Score: 497
Current Score: 523
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Scupra...congratulations on your discharge.  In my opinion, your best "next move" is no move at all.  Sending out applications for credit to credit card companies is just going to "ding" your score weather you have a high score, or a low score.  

However:

I am guessing that, with a score of 650, you will get a card, but it will be a higher interest card.  When you do get a card the key is to stay below the max by 75% at all times, and pay the card off each month.  For instance:  If you get a card with a $1000 limit, dont use more than $250 per month.  In fact, the best thing to do for the first six months is to use the card for a tank of gas ($70?) and pay it off each month.  

From my experience, 30% of your score is calculated by your behavior with "Revolving Credit".  That is, credit that you carry in your pocket but do not use.  Banks and Lending Institutions want to know that, even though you have that credit in your pocket, you have the dicipline to avoid using it.  This goes a long way with them.  So if you follow the instruction above, you should see your score jump each quarter.  

Finally, I am assuming that after filing for Chapter 11, you had to pay cash over these past seven years.  So you are probably really good at that!  Why not just keep paying cash and therefore buying things you can afford, than slipping back into credit card debt.  Save your lending power for the important things;  Car/ House/ School.  And try to pay for the small stuff as you need it.

Good Luck.............Triracer

Message 16 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Startnover2 wrote:

Thank you so much for all your help.  This forum has been a live saver

No problem! You are in the right place. Keep us posted and good luck at getting those lates removed

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.