Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do now?

We filed bankruptcy back in April of 2015  ... discharged that summer.  Current FICO score 674.

For over a year now I have had a Capital One Quicksilver with a $10,000 limit (didnt burn them in the bankruptcy so they took me back after a year, I was surprised) and a Barclaycard with a $4,000 limit (got this one shortly after bankruptcy with a $1,000 limit).  I also have a $1,000 limit google store card that I never used and $500 limit clothing store card.  Pay all of them off in full every month and never go over 12% total credit used.

Not sure where to go from here.

Discover, Citi, Chase, and BoA were all included in our bankruptcy.  I never had an American Express card but they denied me about a year ago.  I read on here American Express wont take you if you have a bankruptcy on your record.  They did try to get me to sign up for a secured card but that isnt really what I need ... would it lead to an unsecured card with a decent limit and cash back?

Just trying to build our credit while being smart and responsible.  Any advice on our next step?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do now?

@Anonymouswrote:

We filed bankruptcy back in April of 2015  ... discharged that summer.  Current FICO score 674.

For over a year now I have had a Capital One Quicksilver with a $10,000 limit (didnt burn them in the bankruptcy so they took me back after a year, I was surprised) and a Barclaycard with a $4,000 limit (got this one shortly after bankruptcy with a $1,000 limit).  I also have a $1,000 limit google store card that I never used and $500 limit clothing store card.  Pay all of them off in full every month and never go over 12% total credit used.

Not sure where to go from here.

Discover, Citi, Chase, and BoA were all included in our bankruptcy.  I never had an American Express card but they denied me about a year ago.  I read on here American Express wont take you if you have a bankruptcy on your record.  They did try to get me to sign up for a secured card but that isnt really what I need ... would it lead to an unsecured card with a decent limit and cash back?

Just trying to build our credit while being smart and responsible.  Any advice on our next step?

If you didn't include them in your BK, Navy Federal (need a way in through military affiliation or a family member) or PenFed (anyone can get in with a donation to certain organizations) for another CC. With your current low utilization and low # of cards, I think you'll be golden to get approved so long as you don't have any derogs since your BK or tons of inquiries etc. I am just shy of 3 years discharged and have $25k in credit with PenFed and $22k with Navy.

Amex is not BK friendly and while you might be able to get in in a few years, you're not there yet.

Message 2 of 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If you use and pay your cap one card, you could probably get another one with as high or higher limit and lower interest rate from Cap One.

My latest Cap One card started at $30k at 13.99% apr whereas my first was $3k at 23.99%.

I got a $9k discover after burning them.

No luck with Chase, BOA, or Citibank.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800wrote:

If you use and pay your cap one card, you could probably get another one with as high or higher limit and lower interest rate from Cap One.

My latest Cap One card started at $30k at 13.99% apr whereas my first was $3k at 23.99%.

I got a $9k discover after burning them.

No luck with Chase, BOA, or Citibank.

Thanks!  I decided to apply for the Cap One Savor (didnt want anything with an annual fee).  Was approved for another $10,000 (Total credit now is $25,500).  The 3% restaurants and 2% grocery cash back will be nice.

Eventually I would like the Discover card (cash back is what I like).  How long would you wait to apply for that?  I am thinking at least a year now that I just got this one.

Message 4 of 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would apply as soon as I got a prequal for Discover.

I just got my card a few months ago and am enjoying 0% purchases for 14 months and double cash back the first year.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.