cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you get non-subprime credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When do you get non-subprime credit cards?

I was DC from BK7 on Sept 2017. Currently I have 6 credit cards:

* Capital One Platinum $300 limit
* Capital One Quicksilver One $300 limit
* Credit One $650 limit
* Lend Up Card $750 limit
* Avant Card $750 limit
* Merrick Bank Card $600 limit

My balances are low, close to zero. I recently got a car loan.

I don't really use my CC much but just have them in case of emergency; I'm also applying to new jobs out of state and plan to use them for AirBNB housing if I get a new job.

I really want non-subprime cards that have decent rewards and/or higher credit limits. I'm well aware that I won't get AMEX/Chase/Citi anytime soon. However, I'm looking to get back in with other non-subprime cards such as Barclay and Discover. I tried Discover prequalification once a month or so but always got denied. I burned Barclay and Discover for $1,500 and $8,500, respectively. It doesn't look like I'll get back in with Discover soon, if ever, does it? What about Capital One? They let me back in even though I burned them for $5,000. When can I expect to get better cards/higher limit? I don't know my true FICO scores, but FWIW my FAKO score on CreditKarma are around upper 500-lower 600.

Edit: ty Medic981 for the links. I only checked the Discover TU score, and it shows 620 with 8% revolving utilization.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: When do you get non-subprime credit cards?

As you well know, FAKO scores mean almost nothing so it is meaningless to mention them. My FAKO scores are 40 points lower than my FICO scores!!!

CreditCheckTotal.com will give you free Experian FICO Scores.
Discover.com/free-credit-score/ will give you free TransUnion FICO Scores.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sign up for Experian’s free score on their site. You will have to dig around as they keep pushing trials and pay products but the free option is there. It’s a free FICO score every month plus free alerts.

If you recently got a car loan it will help your score. Capital One has cards with great rewards. Check the prequalify site. You will peoblaby need to get your score up to 670 but it never hurts to check.

I’m in similar situation. I burned all the major banks so my rebuild has stalled because there is really no where else to go. My scores keep going up but I cannot really use the higher scores to get the cards I want. I’m just working on building my relationship with Capital One and Discover.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you didn't burn Navy Federal (and have a way in) or PenFed (anyone can join) that is where you want to go next. 

I have a $23,500 CC with Navy and $25k across two CC's with PenFed. All solid rewards cards.

Both CUs just approved me for $25k car loans @ 3.xx% also.

Message 4 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Great replies so far. You have enough cards and now a car loan. Time is on your side. Let things grow. Pick a card and use it alot as you would a debit card if you didnt have a CC. Use one of the Cap1 cards. Do the AZEO method. Thats how i started. If the $ isnt there. Dont charge it. It will be helpful knowing how old your cards are also. Let it report 5-10 bucks. Once we have more info we can help more. Theres no rush. Took me over 3 yrs to get where I am at now. We're here to help.

If you can get into the CU. Go for it.

Message 5 of 12
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Have you tried to get a secured Discover CC? Discover would not approve me for over a year and I applied for a secured CC and it graduated and now I am in with Discover.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 6 of 12
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

Capital One is known to be bankruptcy friendly but I have heard your mileage may vary. Just be lucky you actually get offers for good cards. I burned pretty much everyone in bankruptcy so my current cards suck. I am one year and one month post discharge (chapter 7) and I prequalify for Capital One but I'm scared to pull the trigger since I burned them for around $2,800. They also pull all 3 credit bureaus so I am scared even though I have been working my rebuild pretty well (scores in signature...not the greatest but you should have seen my scores right out of discharge lol). I get Ollo card and Lending Club offers seriously every single day, It's annoying lol. You are lucky to have Capital One. I also have LendUp (they gave me a $1,000 auto CLI 6 months after opening the account!) and stupid CreditOne lol. 

Sorry I got off topic. As far as non-subprime cards, I am wondering the same but I burnt pretty much all of the big lenders (Amex, Chase big time lol, Citi, Barclays, Discover, Capital One, you name it) so I likely won't be getting any anytime soon so I am not much help and in the same boat as you. How many inquiries do you have currently? It is great that you're keeping your utilization low. That is huge! Sometimes creditors are spooked by a bunch of new accounts especially when you're only a year out of bankruptcy. I would say you're doing great. If you don't mind me asking, who all did you burn? Chase and Citi won't be approved whether you burned them or not if you have a bankruptcy on your record (I don't know if there is a timeframe for this or not). I know someone who used to work in the bankruptcy department at Discover Card and said there are several customers with current accounts that have filed bankruptcy with them in the past but it could take a while to get back in and SOME get approved for the Secured card (this is a YMMV situation!!). Sorry for the novel. I wish you the best of luck! Keep up the great work!

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 7 of 12
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

Medic, I went to that Discover site and they gave me a free Experian but not Transunion Smiley Sad

My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 8 of 12
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

Update: Your post triggered me into applying with CapitalOne even though I burned them. I was approved for the Platinum card for $3,000 (ironically, the same amount I burned them for last June lol). HAPPY DANCE!!! Finally I have a card that isn't subprime and no annual fee!

Message 9 of 12
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

SteelerNYC, what are the requirements to get in with PenFed? I am one year and a month post DC (all my stats were updated today in my signature). I don't qualify for Navy Federal, unfortunately. Thank you in advance!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.