Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to dispute items during bankruptcy

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

When to dispute items during bankruptcy

Should I dispute during the bk or wait until after discharge. I have some creditors still updating the account like nothing has changed. Just had a fresh 60 day late hit yesterday. Should I dispute this?

Will these accounts fall off after discharge as well?
Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: When to dispute items during bankruptcy

@CreditGuy03 wrote:
Should I dispute during the bk or wait until after discharge. I have some creditors still updating the account like nothing has changed. Just had a fresh 60 day late hit yesterday. Should I dispute this?

Will these accounts fall off after discharge as well?

Is is best to wait until after discharge contrary to some "naysayers" here,  all accounts should have 0 balance and marked IIB.

Your accounts will not fall off , they will remain for 7 years, any previous lates will still be reported in the history if you had lates prior to filing. 

As for them reporting a "fresh" 60 day late, was this in fact 60 days late prior to filing?  If not they no they shouldn't be updating your account,  you should contact your lawyer they should take care of the company reporting like that. You paid them they work for you.

Good luck

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 5
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Yes it was a fresh 60 day late from end of August i filed beginning of August. So what about the accounts that are still reporting with a balance?

Cap 1 marked 2 accounts zero balance and closed but left 1 showing maxed out and open. Same with chase
Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Back up what @Jnbmom said. Its best to wait up to 30 days after DC for everything to update. If they dont. Call your lawyer and they can handle that. If the creditor doesnt follow the BK laws. Your lawyer can file a petiton to the courts and the creditor can be fined $1000 and court/lawyer fees in your favor. If the 60 day late was before the filing date. Then a 30 day late should take its place which was before file date. And its also best to wait the same time period before applying for credit. Because once everything is reporting correctly. You could get a score boost. Which can possibly help getting better credit offers. (Without knowing your past history)

Message 4 of 5
twono
Frequent Contributor

I filed for Ch. 7 almost 3 months ago, and finally, all accounts are reporting $0 and IIB except Kohls who is financed with CapOne and of whom I'm burning.  But the Kohls did have a $0 balance prior to filing.

I had a few 30 day lates and most of them have been removed (albeit maybe temporarily), except for 1 on EQ.

I am 2 wks away from DC (God willing), and reports have updated to show 100% on time payments, 0% utilization, total balances $0, 1 derogatory - BK.

Even Federal student loans i cosigned for are showing $0.....but the Sallie Mae's are still there.

Point is, it took 2 1/2 months for my accts to show $0 balances and closures.  But i also had about 35-40 accts that were IIB.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.