cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go for rebuild? I'm having no luck.

Highlighted
New Visitor

Where do I go for rebuild? I'm having no luck.

Hi everyone,

I really want to buy a house in a year and a half but need to rebuild my credit and I'm not having any luck. Capital One won't touch me, i'm guessing because my husband and I burned them. I tried the pre approval with discover today for a secured and denied because I burned them (not surprised) but they told me my score was 616 so that was useful. I currently have a Credit One credit card which I had before the bankrupcty and it survived I guess because I never had anything charged to it. I actually forgot I had it until the first year ended like two months ago and now I'm getting billed monthly for the annual fee. I have student loan that is under $1,000 and I pay $50 a month for but neither of those seem to be raising my score at all. I tried my credit union and they said they won't allow me a secured card until a year has passed. 

Any suggestions? I read that synchrony bank (who I've never had) is pretty forgiving so I'm considering applying for the Nissan Visa with them since I have a Nissan Sentra and would be paying Nissan for maintenence anyway but something tells me I won't get approved. I also have seen Firestone is BK but I simply would never use it and I've read a lot of poor reviews on it. I heard Barclays is BK friendly as well but want 6 months post Discharge and 3 accounts. I only have two but and about two weeks from my six month mark. 

I know I rambled and I'm sorry but does anyone have any suggestions for places I can possibly get an approval from?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES

Re: Where do I go for rebuild? I'm having no luck.

Stop. Have you actually pulled your credit reports yet to see if everything on there is accurate? Do you know what could be affecting your scores from going up? Do you know why they aren’t higher 6 mo post BK? I would not be risking any HPs that will lower your score until you knew that everything was accurate. Don’t be applying for cards just to see what you can get- it will work against you in the long run. One of the regular members here is 9-0 on app approvals because he researches & finds out EXACTLY what he needs to have to be approved.

Starting Score:Nov 3, 2018 EX 597 TU 599 EQ 616
Current Score: EX 597 TU 599 EQ 616
Goal Score: EX 700 TU 700 EQ 700 by Dec 19

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
New Visitor

I haven't actually applied to anything. I have zero HP's in the last 12 months. Everything was "pre-approvals" with no hit to my score. This is why I'm so timid. I don't want a inquiry on my report and no approval. Everything on Credit Karma is accurate. Nothing is listed other than my CreditOne Card, Student loan, and public record of my discharge. 

Message 3 of 5
New Visitor

Try

https://www.openskycc.com/

No credit approval required - just cash to secure the card.
Message 4 of 5
Contributor

I agree with Scooter😉
Message 5 of 5