cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start with the rebuild after being discharged?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to start with the rebuild after being discharged?

I posted a few days ago. We were discharged on June 18th. Do we wait several months, a year.... before applying for a credit card?? What is the best way to tackle this? We have two KOHLS cards (one in my name and my husband's) that were paid off LONG before we filed ch. 7. As far as I know, they are still open. Would using those help us to rebuild or should we just let them sit there?  TIA!!!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Where to start with the rebuild after being discharged?

Who was burned and we can go from there.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA, NFCU, Discover, AMX, Citibank, Chase, Synchrony and Barclay. The biggies!!!! I don't think we had anything with Capital One unless they are also ones for gas company credit cards. THANKS!!! Looks grim doesn't it??!!!!

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Who was burned and we can go from there.

Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yes and no. I rebuilt pretty well without the biggies. Not sure about Cap1 co brand cards. You could try the Cap1 pre-qual and see where you stand. Disco would be a year out and then may or not be unsecured or secured. I'd give Cap a pre-qual hit for now.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!!

Message 5 of 8
Harriet
New Contributor

Hey Rolltide, I haven’t filed yet, still undecided. I’m curious how USAA treated you? Seems they were harsh in the past but have lightened up, letting people have access to their accts etc. What was your experience?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been able to access our accounts this entire time except the credit cards fell off there.  We still have car insurance and home owners insurance with them. We were just renewed for both so no issues there unless something happens in Nov. when auto gets renewed again. 

Message 7 of 8
Harriet
New Contributor

That’s great. Thank you for responding. I have everything w them so that’s good news.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.