Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which "Year" is it?

tag
toi34
Established Contributor

Which "Year" is it?

Do banks use the 'file date,' or is it a year after 'discharge date'?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Which "Year" is it?

File date is the ruling date that decides when a BK starts. DC is just that. The BK proceedings is over. You have any other question you need to know?

Message 2 of 6
toi34
Established Contributor

Yes, Firemedic thank you. I need a new car soon and I want to apply for a real bank loan, not one from these predatory companies that keep sending me flyers. So is the "rule" wait a year after my file date, or do I wait a year after my discharge date to apply for a bank car loan?

Message 3 of 6
twono
Frequent Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

Yes, Firemedic thank you. I need a new car soon and I want to apply for a real bank loan, not one from these predatory companies that keep sending me flyers. So is the "rule" wait a year after my file date, or do I wait a year after my discharge date to apply for a bank car loan?

Banks will  look at the DC date, since that is the date that you are considered debt free in a sense.

Filed date only means you filed....it doesn't necessarily mean that your BK case was a success....or a failure.

Message 4 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

The bankruptcy filing date is the date when you file the petition for bankruptcy with the court. By contrast, the discharge date occurs toward the end of the process. How long it takes to get from the filing date to the discharge date depends on which type of bankruptcy you file.The fall off date after 10 yrs is the file date not the DC date.

You could try Cap1's Auto Navigator and get a SP pre-approval with the terms. Or your bank which you have a relationship with. Try Experian.com and get your Auto Fico 8 Scores and all the other scores for $1 and cancel before the trial ends. See where you stand.

Message 5 of 6
gorgon
Established Contributor

+1 on the Cap1 Auto Navigator suggestion above..  ^^^^

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.