cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will some creditors give up after accounts are closed/charged off?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Will some creditors give up after accounts are closed/charged off?

A majority of my credit card accounts are now listed as closed/charged off. Do some creditors just write off the debt and be done with it or do they all send the accounts to collectons?

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Will some creditors give up after accounts are closed/charged off?

@masscredit wrote:

A majority of my credit card accounts are now listed as closed/charged off. Do some creditors just write off the debt and be done with it or do they all send the accounts to collectons?

Not enough information. It depends on who the creditor is and how much is owed, how old are they etc.

Some will sue while others will not , a lot factors go in to it 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't say for sure but I imagine the majority would at least try to collect. I doubt many would just walk away from money owed when there are a lot of vehicles they can use to collect it.

Message 3 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

The highest balance is on one of my Cap 1 accounts.  That is 24K. There is another one of theirs at $16K. Two Discovers at $10K and $7K. Those are the only cards that haven't been closed. The closed accounts have balances that range from $1100 to $10K. PENFED, NFCU, CBNA, JCP, Lowes, Barclays a couple others I'm forgetting. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 14
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Cap1, Discover and Barclay's are possible to send to collections that will seek default judgements.

Message 5 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@incognitony wrote:

Cap1, Discover and Barclay's are possible to send to collections that will seek default judgements.

I keep getting emails from Cap 1 that say they will be charging off the accounts next month so I was wondering what will happen then. I have a list of BK attorneys to contact this week.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 14
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@incognitony wrote:

I keep getting emails from Cap 1 that say they will be charging off the accounts next month so I was wondering what will happen then. I have a list of BK attorneys to contact this week.

It will take months or years to play out with them going through a collection agency. Bankruptcy will clean it up a lot faster if you go that route.

Message 7 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Dont know your income or a lot of back ground. Without stating what the balance are here "PENFED, NFCU, CBNA, JCP, Lowes, Barclays a couple others I'm forgetting." Just the ones you mentioned your at $42,070. I never say go file. Thats a personal choice. But man a fresh start might be freedom from all this debt.

Message 8 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Dont know your income or a lot of back ground. Without stating what the balance are here "PENFED, NFCU, CBNA, JCP, Lowes, Barclays a couple others I'm forgetting." Just the ones you mentioned your at $42,070. I never say go file. Thats a personal choice. But man a fresh start might be freedom from all this debt.

My total is in the $150K+ range so I'll be filing. Was wonderng what happens to closed accounts/charge offs through. I doubt none of them would come after me if I don't file.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 9 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

My total is in the $150K+ range so I'll be filing. Was wonderng what happens to closed accounts/charge offs through. I doubt none of them would come after me if I don't file.

I owed rather more than you when I filed back in 2015 and literally 100% of my creditors were coming after me, and when I did file, once again, 100% filed claims.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.