Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried! Forgot a creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worried! Forgot a creditor

My attorney forgot a creditor on my paperwork. I signed and it was filed. Prior to my meeting of creditors I realized the omission and I told the attorneys office the omission and was told they would send notice to that creditor and that would then include them and nothing else would need to be done.

Does this sound correct?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Worried! Forgot a creditor

From what I've gathered, anything prior to filing is automatically IIB. Someone with first hand experience may be able to give more info.
Message 2 of 11
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Nothing is automatically included, that's why you have to list all of your debts.

Your attorney's office is right. The same thing happened with me after filling but before my 341 meeting, I realized we left off a creditor. It will cost a small fee (my attorney charged me an additional $80 I think) but they added it and everything was fine.

After discharge, I found yet another creditor that was left off. Well, the creditor was not left off, but my attorney listed them as credit card debt (which I did not have with this particular bank) instead of a checking account, which was well-overdrawn. That is still owed to this day and I plan to take care of it. Be sure to list "correctly" everything you owe.
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CashBackQueen wrote:
Nothing is automatically included, that's why you have to list all of your debts.

Your attorney's office is right. The same thing happened with me after filling but before my 341 meeting, I realized we left off a creditor. It will cost a small fee (my attorney charged me an additional $80 I think) but they added it and everything was fine.

After discharge, I found yet another creditor that was left off. Well, the creditor was not left off, but my attorney listed them as credit card debt (which I did not have with this particular bank) instead of a checking account, which was well-overdrawn. That is still owed to this day and I plan to take care of it. Be sure to list "correctly" everything you owe.

^^Not correct

While you should do your best to list all known debts, every debt incurred prior to filing (except for those that are not dischargeable) is in fact included in your BK.

Message 4 of 11
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Ok @Steeler,
So how do I go about getting that account discharged now?

Message 5 of 11
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Was your case No Asset?

How much is the debt you forgot to list?

If its a no asset case and its not a HUGE Amount money just give them a copy of the discharge paperwork.

You only really have to worry about when you have a Large debt that you forgot to list (say a mortgage or large personal loan) and especially if there were assets to distribute.

Message 6 of 11
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Hi @MyDataMyChoice,

It was "no asset" and the unlisted debt was around $1500.

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the same thing! I realized at my 341 meeting actually! It was very easy to include. I stopped by lawyers office paid a fee i believe 60 dollars and it was taken care of!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our attorney has given us the same advice: if we realize that we left off any creditors, send them our notice of bankruptcy and discharge first to see if they'll cancel the debt voluntarily and if they won't, send him the information and he'll handle it for a fee of $60 per instance. Although our bankruptcy is freshly discharged, nearing the end I found a creditor that we didn't list (a medical debt of less than $1,000). I notified them of the bankruptcy case over the phone, they requested paperwork (notice of bankruptcy and case number), and they canceled the debt without any other action.

Message 9 of 11
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

You can add a creditor for a small fee. You can also print a copy of your bankruptcy petition on PACER and mail it to the creditor. Just make sure you call and find out the address to their bankruptcy address (or which ever address you're supposed to send that type of mail to).

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.