Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young and dumb

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Young and dumb

Hello there, I am 23 years old. I have battled cancer this year and haven’t worked in 13 months. I’ve been paid here and there from work but have really struggled financially. I owe about $47k between personal loans and credit cards. My only “real” bills are paying for my phone bill and my internet / cable as I live with my mother. Those bills are under her name but I pay them. The house is under her name also (if she dies it’s mine, but I am not financially responsible for it) right now my paycheck goes to my loans which are taken from my bank account monthly & credit card minimums. I am then left with no money for other spending and have to use a credit card. It’s a never ending cycle and I’m wondering if filing for bankruptcy is in my best interest... I have contacted a few attorneys but waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime i have a question or two.. once you file and everything is processed is your bank account monitored? Or are you free to do whatever with your money? For instance I make decent money but for all my debt it’s not enough.... if I filed for chapter 7 and continue getting my paycheck how would I be able to give my mother money to help with her bills? What am I “allowed” to spend my money on? If no actual bills are in my name? Also do I stop using my credit cards now? Do I use the money I have in my checkings which is to pay my minimums? I’m sorry if my questions don’t make sense. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Young and dumb

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello there, I am 23 years old. I have battled cancer this year and haven’t worked in 13 months. I’ve been paid here and there from work but have really struggled financially. I owe about $47k between personal loans and credit cards. My only “real” bills are paying for my phone bill and my internet / cable as I live with my mother. Those bills are under her name but I pay them. The house is under her name also (if she dies it’s mine, but I am not financially responsible for it) right now my paycheck goes to my loans which are taken from my bank account monthly & credit card minimums. I am then left with no money for other spending and have to use a credit card. It’s a never ending cycle and I’m wondering if filing for bankruptcy is in my best interest... I have contacted a few attorneys but waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime i have a question or two.. once you file and everything is processed is your bank account monitored?No. But you'll have to supply bank statements to you lawyer when you file. Or are you free to do whatever with your money? For instance I make decent money but for all my debt it’s not enough.... if I filed for chapter 7 and continue getting my paycheck how would I be able to give my mother money to help with her bills? What am I “allowed” to spend my money on? Everyday living expenses. No luxury items. If no actual bills are in my name? Also do I stop using my credit cards now? Do I use the money I have in my checkings which is to pay my minimums? I’m sorry if my questions don’t make sense. Thanks in advance.

Keep paying your bills as long as possible. Once you find a lawyer. Then it will all be worked out. Google your states means test and the annual income to file Chapter 7. It seems your a no assest. So it will be a breeze. Welcome to the forums. #BeatCancer

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyday living expenses. No luxury items— for how long does this last? The whole 7-10 years depending which chapter gets filed? I want to be able to help my mother with her bills once I actually get some money in my pocket.. & thank you so much!!! #CancerSucks #ItWontBreakMeDown
Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Its before filing when all this is taken into account. Not after BK DC. Like I said it appears you'll qualify for a 7 and not a 13.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.