Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

bankruptcy

I completed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, the bankruptcy is scheduled to come off my report in December 2007.  How will this affect my credit score?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: bankruptcy

well you would think it would go up, but one never knows.  What might affect the score more is the stuff included in the BK that falls off the report.
Message 2 of 5
CreditBob
Established Contributor

I can tell you this because I went through a 13. On a chapter 13 the baalnces will reflect zero. The zero baalnce will help. How long has it been since you have filed, not the discharge date, the original filing date of the bankruptcy? After 2 years from the original filing date your score will only go up if you have since established credit since the bankruptcy. If you have 1 major credit card you are in great shape. Do not be late even once for any reason on any account. Around 4 years from the original filing date of the bankruptcy the score will go up a little more. The highest fico score that you can get with a bankruptcy, util it falls off the report, is up to 745. it also depends on what other things thta you have done.

In other words do you have other types of credit such as a vehilce loan, or an installment (personal) loan? If you do have vehicle loan pay on it for a minimum of 4 years. it takes 48 months of payments for an account to become established. It takes 1 year (12 motnhs) of payments for an account to no longer be considered a new trade line.

You can also go to this site and try out the fico score estimator/simulator. Click on get started

Message 3 of 5
creditchild
Regular Contributor

hi, can anyone tell me about how many credit cards i should get to rebuild my credit?
Message 4 of 5
creditchild
Regular Contributor

hey vee,can you answer my question?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.