cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

car loan bottom feeders, sick of it!!!

tag
rebuilding88
New Contributor

Re: car loan bottom feeders, sick of it!!!

Not rude at all. I've never had good credit and always paid stupid subprime. Sorry I was just feeling defeated. 

I have a self lender loan and a fresh start loan. 

ive been trying to get a secured card but I get nothing but denied. I only burned credit one and capital one for less then 200.00. I have tried the prequels but denied also. 

Message 11 of 21
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

@rebuilding88 wrote:

Was looking at getting a car since my discharge. The terms are STUPID!!! 72 months 553.00/month at 20%. Car blue books for 16k they are asking 20k.  NO THANKS!!! I've ran into this twice. I decided to roll the dice and keep driving my current car until they come repo it since i didnt reafirm it, then take what ever cash i have saved and pay cash for a POS LOL.  

Sorry just wanting to vent. 

Subprime loans have high costs beyond the interest rate. The used car dealerships have to pay the lender a fee to make the deal on a subprime, so the price gets jacked up further since the dealer is not a charity and passing the lender fee to you. The loans are recourse to the dealership for 1-3 months, so the dealer has to install a hidden GPS device to make it easier to repo. That's more cost right there.  The dealership is taking a lot of risk with no down payment despite all of the above fees and interest if I did the math right on your loan. 

It's way cheaper to just to save for a $3k-$5k junker with cash regardless of credit. Keep driving the current vehicle and save up $500/month until the repoman grabs it. He might not grab it for months or even longer. Keep in mind if your credit was 740+, you still get hosed with a rapidly depreciating new car $30k car +tax on 4% interest with a very similar payment for 6 years. You should seriously consider getting off the endless auto loan conveyor belt where banks are taking $500+ a month for 6 years and then you do it over and over. Auto loans even at 0% are a good way to barely survive paycheck to paycheck forever.

Message 12 of 21
House1204
Regular Contributor

@rebuilding88 wrote:

Not rude at all. I've never had good credit and always paid stupid subprime. Sorry I was just feeling defeated. 

I have a self lender loan and a fresh start loan. 

ive been trying to get a secured card but I get nothing but denied. I only burned credit one and capital one for less then 200.00. I have tried the prequels but denied also. 

Have you tried Open Sky for a secured card? They are very good for rebuilding.

Message 13 of 21
OmarR
Established Contributor

@jmw1 wrote:

It's way cheaper to just to save for a $3k-$5k junker with cash regardless of credit. Keep driving the current vehicle and save up $500/month until the repoman grabs it. He might not grab it for months or even longer. Keep in mind if your credit was 740+, you still get hosed with a rapidly depreciating new car $30k car +tax on 4% interest with a very similar payment for 6 years. You should seriously consider getting off the endless auto loan conveyor belt where banks are taking $500+ a month for 6 years and then you do it over and over. Auto loans even at 0% are a good way to barely survive paycheck to paycheck forever.

100% spot on! It took me 25 years to break that cycle. Even a cheap reliable car in that price range isn't necesarily a "junker".

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 14 of 21
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@jmw1 wrote:

100% spot on! It took me 25 years to break that cycle. Even a cheap reliable car in that price range isn't necesarily a "junker".

So, I'm not necessarily in agreement with this line of thinking.  Why?  I drive an older car which I bought used and my wife drives a car she purchased new the year prior.  We've had her car for five years and mine for four; hers was roughly $25,000 new and has since needed about $800 in unscheduled maintenance giving us a total of $25,800.  If we were to sell her car at, let's call it, "Pre-Pandemic" prices, we would have been able to get roughly $12,000 for it, which in turn gives an overall cost of ownership of $13,800.

My car, with a year less time with us and fewer miles on the clock, started with an acquisition cost of $10,000, followed a year later by nearly $6,000 in unscheduled and preventative maintenance, followed by another $2,000 of the same a year later.  I just got the car back from its annual inspection yesterday and was alerted to the fact much of the exhaust system, cats included, is "fragile"; that'll probably be another $1,000 on the balance sheet.  Here again, had we sold it at "Pre-Pandemic" prices, we would have gotten maybe $3,000, maybe even $4,000.  Taking the higher of those two numbers would yield a total cost of ownership of $14,000.

I didn't buy my car because it was old and less expensive, I bought it because that is the car I want and am more than happy to pay what it costs to keep it in tip-top condition.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 15 of 21
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

@jmw1 wrote:

So, I'm not necessarily in agreement with this line of thinking.  Why?  I drive an older car which I bought used and my wife drives a car she purchased new the year prior.  We've had her car for five years and mine for four; hers was roughly $25,000 new and has since needed about $800 in unscheduled maintenance giving us a total of $25,800.  If we were to sell her car at, let's call it, "Pre-Pandemic" prices, we would have been able to get roughly $12,000 for it, which in turn gives an overall cost of ownership of $13,800.

My car, with a year less time with us and fewer miles on the clock, started with an acquisition cost of $10,000, followed a year later by nearly $6,000 in unscheduled and preventative maintenance, followed by another $2,000 of the same a year later.  I just got the car back from its annual inspection yesterday and was alerted to the fact much of the exhaust system, cats included, is "fragile"; that'll probably be another $1,000 on the balance sheet.  Here again, had we sold it at "Pre-Pandemic" prices, we would have gotten maybe $3,000, maybe even $4,000.  Taking the higher of those two numbers would yield a total cost of ownership of $14,000.

I didn't buy my car because it was old and less expensive, I bought it because that is the car I want and am more than happy to pay what it costs to keep it in tip-top condition.

The type of car you choose makes a difference.

While they are not sexy, something tells me you didn't choose/want a Honda Civic, Honda Accord, or Nissan Sentra type car.

But I could be wrong.

I am $4k + regular maintenance, going on 9 years. 2001 Chevy Blazer.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 16 of 21
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

The type of car you choose makes a difference.

While they are not sexy, something tells me you didn't choose/want a Honda Civic, Honda Accord, or Nissan Sentra type car.

But I could be wrong.

I am $4k + regular maintenance, going on 9 years. 2001 Chevy Blazer.

Funny you should mention a Honda Accord, the 2006 I mentioned above, is a Honda Accord clone called the Acura TL.  While the car is still rock solid at 15 years of age, it isn't exactly an inexpensive car to maintain, in spite of the fact most of the mechanical bits are identical to the same year Honda Accord (which was built on the same assembly line in Ohio).

Message 17 of 21
rebuilding88
New Contributor

coming to get my car

Well that didnt take long, LOL I recieved a call Sunday asking when and where they can come pick up he car. I was going to play hide and seek but decided not to.  I didn't reafirm the car because it was so upside down.  Oh well, on to bigger things.  

Message 18 of 21
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: coming to get my car

@rebuilding88 wrote:

Well that didnt take long, LOL I recieved a call Sunday asking when and where they can come pick up he car. I was going to play hide and seek but decided not to.  I didn't reafirm the car because it was so upside down.  Oh well, on to bigger things.  

Wow; so what is Plan B regarding a vehicle?

Message 19 of 21
rebuilding88
New Contributor

Re: coming to get my car

I went out and bought a 5k car with cash.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.