cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit score after chap 7 discharge

tag
Kuntry

credit score after chap 7 discharge

My credit report has just updated to show that my Chapter 7 is dismissed.  Does anyone know if my Pico score will see an improvement?  I've been waiting for the discharge before applying for an auto loan. Is it likely that the discharge will cause mh score to rise?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: credit score after chap 7 discharge

Simply showing your bankruptcy from filed to discharged will not cause an increase in your score, specifically. 

What you need to do is ensure all accounts are reporting correctly and dispute those that aren't.

Congrats on your discharge. 

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Kuntry wrote:

My credit report has just updated to show that my Chapter 7 is dismissed.  Does anyone know if my Pico score will see an improvement?  I've been waiting for the discharge before applying for an auto loan. Is it likely that the discharge will cause mh score to rise?

^^just confirming, you mean Discharged, right? Not dismissed? Two entirely different results.

Message 3 of 8
Kuntry

I meant 'discharged'....sorry for the condusion
Message 4 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Simply showing your bankruptcy from filed to discharged will not cause an increase in your score, specifically. 

What you need to do is ensure all accounts are reporting correctly and dispute those that aren't.

Congrats on your discharge. 

This +1

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 8
Kuntry

Thanks Redsox. I opted not to reaffirm my previous car loan. I have not yet heard from the auto finance company. But I need to get something reliable to drive so that I won't be in a transportation bind when they pick up my old car.
Message 6 of 8
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Did you opt to surrender your vehicle or just keep making payments?

What did you do on your statement of intentions.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 7 of 8
Kuntry

I opted to surrender it. But I've yet to hear from the finance company. I haven't contacted them either. I assume once they hear of the discharge they will come for the car.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.