Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discharge soon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

discharge soon

Ok, so my discharge will come in the next 2-3 weeks. That is if my mortgage reaffirmation gets filed. If it doesnt I'll have my attorney put off my discharge date if that's what needs to happen. Im monitoring it online.

I read and read and read on here to the point it's running together. Lol My plan is capital one platinum because I already prequalify. I'm going to try to stay away from secured unless a bank I burned allows me to have a secured.

I burned discover, wells Fargo, state farm, NFCU, care credit, home depot, bank of america and Evansville teachers federal credit union. (I put this out there in case anyone wants to give general advice that I didnt specifically ask for here... all thoughts are welcome)

The question is...

Will it make a difference (maybe higher credit limit) if I wait to apply for cap one till my credit reports update to show my student loans and mortgage not included in BK and paid on time? Or should I just apply for the plat card when I see my discharge online? My uneducated theory is that if I'm patient my score will get a boost once those two things post positive things and that will lead to better limit.

The only scores I know are FICO 8....601 as of a week ago and fico 9 as of dec 5... 682.

I'll pay for an account on this site after my BK is finished till then I cant do anything so I'll save the money. I monitor the info on my credit reports with credit karma and credit wise. So far there are no mistakes.... except one that is in my favor (an old furniture store account showing as open pays as agreed... even though there is a 0 credit limit on it which basically means its closed in my opinion.)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: discharge soon

I would wait for the official discharge and for your reports to 'settle' and update.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah...I'm leaning that way but do you think it will effect my limit?

Ooooo maybe I'll qualify for the new cap one platinum preferred.... probably wishful thinking but sure would be nice!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 6 weeks left before discharge and I am wondering if I should get a secured credit card prior to discharge? 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen people get secured and unsecured after the 341 meeting but prior to discharge. However, it isnt advised by the majority on this forum. I asked my attorney and they said they advise just waiting. So, I'm waiting not so patiently. Haha

I know some banks will allow it without discharge... some won't. I know capital one allows it. You have to do what you have to do sometimes but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Message 5 of 6
gorgon
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 6 weeks left before discharge and I am wondering if I should get a secured credit card prior to discharge? 

I got the Opensky secured card about 5 weeks before my discharge. No issues here...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.