Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie trying to find where to start after ch7 bankruptcy MILITARY

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

newbie trying to find where to start after ch7 bankruptcy MILITARY

Hello I am hoping I can get some advice on where to start after a discharge of chapter 7. My husband is active duty Navy and right now our scores are mid 500's to high 500's...I am sooooo lost and dont know where to begin. He just left for a year deployment and I really want to work on our credit for new car purchases as well as credit cards. We bank with Navy Federal put we have never had any loans or credit cards thru them......Any advice?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: newbie trying to find where to start after ch7 bankruptcy MILITARY

1. I would start by getting a secured card with Navy.

2.  Check the pre-qual for Best Buy MC, you might get $100-300.

Let these 2 accounts age for a few months- 6 months, then maybe add 1 or 2 more credit cards, like a store card.

Also go through your credit report and make sure all the accounts that were included in BK are reporting as such and all have $0 balances

Message 2 of 3
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: newbie trying to find where to start after ch7 bankruptcy MILITARY

Hi and Welcome to the forums,Smiley Happy

You may want to check out the other board.............Rebuilding Your Credit

I hang out on that board, we talk about starting over. There is many of them military with bk.

Stop over and say HI,Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.