Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on loan app "have you ever filed for bk"

tag
annah618
Established Member

question on loan app "have you ever filed for bk"

My husband's BK was over 10 years ago and no longer shows up on his credit report. Can we say "no" to this question? I think I read somewhere that you can, but I'm having a hard time finding anything on google.Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: question on loan app "have you ever filed for bk"

@annah618 wrote:

My husband's BK was over 10 years ago and no longer shows up on his credit report. Can we say "no" to this question? I think I read somewhere that you can, but I'm having a hard time finding anything on google.Smiley Wink

It's just my view but since you did file for BK even if it's off your report then you need to say yes. The key part of the question is "Have you ever filed".

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with MVV.

Dave Ramsey is pretty good about reminding folks that we all need to be honest on this one, and if we provide false information (perhaps especially in writing) we can be in some very hot water.

I like to remember that just because a BK ages off my credit report, doesn't mean it goes away or didn't happen.  It's still a public record and can be found on a search.  There are very few secrets in the world nowadays.

While I wait for my BK to age off my report, I'm practicing saying "yes" to that "have you ever filed for BK?" question.  It's becoming, surprisingly, less and less painful.

Message 3 of 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

If you answer un-truthfully to any question on a loan application you are at least theoretically committing fraud.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@chasmith wrote:

If you answer un-truthfully to any question on a loan application you are at least theoretically committing fraud.

Many lenders would certainly look at it this way.  Also, even though the the BK does not appear on one's credit report, it might be discovered during the title search (for a mortgage application, that is), as some full title searches include investigations of the buyers to make sure that there aren't any liabilities that could result in liens slapped on a newly purchased home.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@annah618 wrote:

There is no clear cut answer.

Lenders really have no reason to phrase the question that way since they cannot normally take into consideration items that have fallen off your credit report. 

Message 6 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Lenders really have no reason to phrase the question that way since they cannot normally take into consideration items that have fallen off your credit report. 

The clear cut answer is to tell the truth. If you're asked "Have you ever filed for BK"? the answer is either yes or no.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The clear cut answer is to tell the truth. If you're asked "Have you ever filed for BK"? the answer is either yes or no.

From a BK years ago to:

It's as clear cut as "Do you still beat your wife?" 

The fact is that if it is off your credit report, in the vast majority of cases it is illegal for a creditor to use it against you.  It's almost the same as if they were to ask you what your race was.

Message 8 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The fact is that if it is off your credit report, in the vast majority of cases it is illegal for a creditor to use it against you.  It's almost the same as if they were to ask you what your race was.

The Marine Corps taught me about duty and honor and that those things always come first.

Part of that is always telling the truth no matter what. I can't live any other way.

And that's my last comment here. Time to move on.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Marine Corps taught me about duty and honor and that those things always come first.

Part of that is always telling the truth no matter what. I can't live any other way.

And that's my last comment here. Time to move on.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

In my Marine Corps we also teach that blind faith is no excuse for obeying illegal orders.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.