Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Bankruptcy Dismissed" Remark

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Bankruptcy Dismissed" Remark

I have a few accounts I've paid since BK was dismissed. Should the remarks say "BK Dismissed"?, especially since they were paid, or am I fighting a losing battle with the remarks...Advice needed

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: "Bankruptcy Dismissed" Remark

Why was your BK dismissed?

Message 2 of 16
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

This is normal and it will be that way until 7 years since you filed. Generally, as time passes, the score would improve and especially after 2 years. 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

it was dismissed because we decided not to go through with it. We figured out another way to get out  the trouble we were in that was better, so we thought than BK 13. One month after dismissal we pay off the car, which we had never missed a payment, and have slowly pay most of our debt off. That was 2.5 years ago, but we are still haunted by the BK13 on our credit reports. We have recently paid off everything except 3 accounts, and only because they have 1099-C those.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tuscani wrote:

This is normal and it will be that way until 7 years since you filed. Generally, as time passes, the score would improve and especially after 2 years

In the last few months we have started to see some improvement, and within the last month, have paid all debt to zer except 3

Message 5 of 16
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a few accounts I've paid since BK was dismissed. Should the remarks say "BK Dismissed"?, especially since they were paid, or am I fighting a losing battle with the remarks...Advice needed

It is normal, and often causes more trouble than the included in bankruptcy remarks unfortunately. Sometimes a bankruptcy that is dismissed is due to fraudulant claims or hiding assets. At the very least, you may need to explain the circumstances in a manual review. To the best of my knowledge there is not a way to back out of bankruptcy gracefully once filed. Filing a bankruptcy is a major decision that just can't be changed if you decide after filing not to complete the process. At least not as far as the bankruptcy being on your credit report. Wish I could offer a bit more optimism for you, but I think there is no means to undo the filing or dismissal.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 16
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

it was dismissed because we decided not to go through with it. We figured out another way to get out  the trouble we were in that was better, so we thought than BK 13. One month after dismissal we pay off the car, which we had never missed a payment, and have slowly pay most of our debt off. That was 2.5 years ago, but we are still haunted by the BK13 on our credit reports. We have recently paid off everything except 3 accounts, and only because they have 1099-C those.

It is too late now, but once filed it would have probably been better to have run this better way through the bankruptcy trustee. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of any means of the debtor voluntarily having a bankruptcy dismissed that is advantageous for the debtor. The filing is still on the report, and all protections for the debtor is eliminated. Most dismissals happen either due to the debtor having been deceitful, or financial situation having changed to prevent the debtor from making the trustee payments. Even if that happens, the payment schedule can usually be adjusted due to the change, or even converted to a chapter 7 that the debtor did not qualify for at the time of the filing. It is sometimes the case that better options exist to deal with debt prior to filing, but I have never known of any advantage to the debtor to have the bankruptcy dismissed after it has been filed. If anyone knows of one, I would love to hear it. If not, I hope anyone who is in the same situation will read this before they errantly think the filing can just go away if the debtor changes their mind. Back in the day, when I filed a chapter 13, every single creditor was payed 100% of the debt with some interest, even those who were unsecured. My problem then was more due to being unable to get a consolidation loan, and unable to make the monthly payments. The bulk of that debt was to finance companies on short term loans, but the total amount of debt was not too high to pay it all in the chapter 13. It did not matter at all, that all of them were fully re-paid, the damage to my credit remained.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assure you we did not nor were we trying to do anything deceitful or fraudulent. At the time we thought that was to option we needed. We also are the ones the will continue to take the hit for that mistake, but now debt free and our scores will recover more over time. We made the mistake, so we will live with the remark.
Message 8 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP, I can understand your predicament, but unfortunately, a dismissed BK, regardless of the situation/circumstances, stays on your reports for 7 yrs from the date filed.

You can call the 3 CRA's and ask for EE as follows...

EQ- 1mo
EX- 3 mo
TU- 6 mo

Message 9 of 16
CJIII1983
New Contributor

How in the world you filled bankruptcy and not go though with it?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.