Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Strange" Student Loan Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Strange" Student Loan Letter

As many of you know, I'm barely 30 days post discharge from Ch 13.

About a week ago, I received a letter from the D.O.E. starting that student loans are not discharged as part of my discharge.  However, today, I received a bill from a collections agency for them asking for the balance I owe.  Why would they send my account straight to collections immediately after discharge?  Any suggestions on how to handle this?

The agency is Central Research Inc.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Strange" Student Loan Letter

I don't know anything about bankruptcy. When was the last time you made a payment on your student loans? This is probably the bigger issue and after but having paid for over 120 days the loans went into default.
I'd start with going to the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) website. This will last all your federal loans, and the status. You'll be able to see what's been paid off and what's in default. You can also check the gov student loans website and save any information from there.
Would you like information on how to get out of default?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

All student loans were paid by the trustee under the requirements of Ch13.   So not sure how that's considered "default" since my case just closed less than 30 days ago.

I'll check the database and reach out to my lawyer.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like I said, CH13 is not my thing, it's student loans. In your initial post you stated the letter said they were NOT included (which I'm pretty sure is common for student loans).The information I gave you was based on the not being included. 

Talking with your lawyer is probably the best course of action. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welp went to the lawyer who was zero help.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you absolutely sure the loans were included (federal?)?
If they're federal, have you checked the status on the National Student Loan Database or NSLDS website?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.