Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reopening accounts after BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

reopening accounts after BK

question about life after chapter 7 BK

I had a fingerhut in good standing after the BK my credit report says closed but i can still log in to that account and my limit still shows up... So question is am I aloud to use this account still if fingerhut lets me purchase? I wanted to make sure i wasn't violating any BK terms and I couldn't seem to find the answer myself  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Re: reopening accounts after BK

While I am not advanced on this subject, if you have been discharged and Fingerhut decides that you can continue with them, there should not be a problem.  Make sure that a discharge has taken place.  If you used an Atty, call their office to be sure.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discharge was granted several months ago my attorney stopped taking calls after the bk went through unfortunately
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can use it if they kept it open.
Message 4 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

When you say "in good standing" I assume you mean it had a $0 balance when you filed BK?

If the account is still open with available credit you will not violate any BK terms or any laws by using it. But, if it shows as "closed" on your credit report it may just be a glitch on their side having the online account still open with available credit. Only way to find out for sure is to try to charge on it.

I had 1 account survive my 2010 BK7 - PayPal Credit by Comenity Bank. I hadn't used it in awhile, so $0 balance when I filed and as I had no other accounts with Comenity they weren't notified of my BK filing. A few months after discharge I logged in and saw the account open with available credit so I tried it and the charge went through. I still have the account.

Message 5 of 6
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

In that case, try using the account.  The account may have gotten information however decided to remain open.  Make it a small purchase at first.  Some companies like to put customers in a catch 22 to get a payday.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.