Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

required credit counciling?

tag
kd529
Valued Member

required credit counciling?

I was reading a BK attorney's website info and it said that credit counciling is required 180 days before ch 13.  This is in FL. Can anyone comment whether this IS required or not? Does that mean if i decide today i want o file, i have to wait 6 months & go through a credit counciling company?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: required credit counciling?

The credit counseling is not the same as you are thinking - the attorney will have a list of agencies to choose from - you either call in or do an online course, lasts an hr. or 2. Then you have to do another one AFTER the BK is final.  It's not a big deal, in fact I felt was a total waste, they just go over what you already know - you should economize where you can, etc., etc.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, absolutely right! Credit counseling agency is not the same as you are thinking. A reputable credit counseling agency will provide you advice on how to manage your money and debt. Reputable agencies will also provide you information upfront about their agency without you having to provide any of your own personal identifying information. One such professional agency that I know of is American Consumer Credit Counseling.

Mentioning a DMP by name is OK, just leave off any links or contact info. Feel free to accept PMs if anyone is looking for more specific info.

Message Edited by llecs on 07-28-2009 01:00 PM
Message 3 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Before you file, you might want to look into whether a DMP company can prevent the BK.  It would be great if you could afford to make the DMP payments and not have to file BK.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.