Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when does Ch. 7 get removed from my credit reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

when does Ch. 7 get removed from my credit reports

We filed ch. 7 Apr. 2005 and Ch.7 discharge was Sept. 2005. I see contradicting information about whether my public record of bankruptcy is removed at 7 years or 10 years. Is this variable, or which is correct? Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

Re: when does Ch. 7 get removed from my credit reports

CH7 BK stays on the report for 10 years. CH13 BK is removed after 7 years.

Message 2 of 8
penelope10
Established Member

It will be removed in March 2015.  10 years from the date of filing, and it is removed the month prior typically.  Some people have reported that it has been removed a few months early, but March 2015 will be the latest date it should be on there.

Starting Score 5/1/2002: 553
Current Score 5/30/2012: 785 (EQ FICO)
Current Score 10/2/2012: 803 (TU FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

penelope10 wrote:

Some people have reported that it has been removed a few months early, but March 2015 will be the latest date it should be on there.

Can or should you write the CRA's before drop off date (January 2013 for me) to possibly expedite removal or is it just a lucky break thing?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jocleveland wrote:

@penelope10 wrote:

Some people have reported that it has been removed a few months early, but March 2015 will be the latest date it should be on there.

Can or should you write the CRA's before drop off date (January 2013 for me) to possibly expedite removal or is it just a lucky break thing?

Hi jo,

It'll age off on it's own.  For those where it ages off a month or two early, it's just a lucky break.

There's not a lot you could say if you wrote the CRA's - "Please age my accurate information off early" probably won't promote much action.  Smiley Wink

After waiting 7 or 10 years,  month or two isn't much to worry about.  And congrats on being that close to having your BK age off.  The best thing to do at this point is make sure your report is accurate, and wisely build your credit as you prepare for that woot-woot! party day.

Message 5 of 8
rebuildcc
Established Member

I thought it will only stay 10 years if you filed after Oct 2005 or something, and only 7 years if it filed before that date. Correct me if I am wrong. I don't know Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, It never was 7 years. Chapter 13 is 7 years, and Chapter 7 is 10 years (sometimes longer). That regulation is at least 50 years old. Keep in mind however you may only be granted a Chapter 7 Discharge ONCE EVERY 8 YEARS FROM PREVIOUS BANKRUPTCY DISCHARGE DATE (law changed in 10/2005)

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate all of you replying to my original question. Thanks for your information and taking the time to respond.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.