Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Biz cards same as personal?

tag
Times
New Contributor

AMEX Biz cards same as personal?

So I'm looking at both the amex gold and amex gold biz. It seems they both have no preset credit limit and can scale as you spend more and pay it off?

Does amex care if one uses the personal card as a biz card?

These are my only concerns. The points/categories dont mater much to me atm

Edit: in regards to the points, It seems for the AMEX Platinum the points are kinda the same for both biz and personal. 5x on travel. The main difference I see is the personal platinum has better credits/benefits even if the AF is $100 more. So if one feels that way on the AMEX platinum personal, would it be wise to get that card to use for business rather than the AMEX platinum biz? as the AF of $600 for the biz doesn't seem worth it compared to the $700 AF of the amex personal with all the useful credits. Idk if I am missing something.

Credit score: 785~ | Goal: 800~

Credit Cards:
Tomo Credit: $6k
Amex prime business: $34k
x1 $18k

Debit cards:
Cash app & Target red debit card

Goal cards:
Amex gold biz & Amex platinum personal

Dream card:
Amex black card
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Biz cards same as personal?

@Times wrote:

So I'm looking at both the amex gold and amex gold biz. It seems they both have no preset credit limit and can scale as you spend more and pay it off?

I think it is ok to use the personal for Biz expenses in general depending what it is I guess. 

Even if points don't matter, stashing them for fuure use is a good thing.  Those cards have different point categories though.  Depending on what you are going to use it for you may want to check the business categories.  We use the the Gold Biz cards (DW and Mine) for Advertising and Fuel (mine) and Shipping and Fuel for hers.  The personal is geared towards personal categories. 

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 2 of 7
Times
New Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Times wrote:

I think it is ok to use the personal for Biz expenses in general depending what it is I guess. 

Even if points don't matter, stashing them for fuure use is a good thing.  Those cards have different point categories though.  Depending on what you are going to use it for you may want to check the business categories.  We use the the Gold Biz cards (DW and Mine) for Advertising and Fuel (mine) and Shipping and Fuel for hers.  The personal is geared towards personal categories. 

It seems for the AMEX Platinum the points are kinda the same for both biz and personal. 5x on travel. The main difference I see is the personal platinum has better credits/benefits even if the AF is $100 more. So if one feels that way on the AMEX platinum personal, would it be wise to get that card to use for business rather than the AMEX platinum biz? as the AF of $600 for the biz doesn't seem worth it compared to the $700 AF of the amex personal with all the useful credits. Idk if I am missing something.

Credit score: 785~ | Goal: 800~

Credit Cards:
Tomo Credit: $6k
Amex prime business: $34k
x1 $18k

Debit cards:
Cash app & Target red debit card

Goal cards:
Amex gold biz & Amex platinum personal

Dream card:
Amex black card
Message 3 of 7
ScorpioRising
New Contributor

@Times wrote:

The main difference that I can point out is that the annual fee for business cards is fully deductible whereas you can only deduct a certain percentage for personal cards. This is after detailing the credit card charges for said business.

Amex may or may not not care in the moment. However, some card companies actually do and will cancel your card for wrongful use. It's certainly easier for your bookkeeping and makes good sense to dedicate business cards to actual business use, wouldn't you agree?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plat from Resy can potentially net you 500k MR points if you can max the x15 at restaurants and/or shop small with 25k cap. Add in the SUB of 125k and bam 500k MR points... so there's that to consider I suppose

Message 5 of 7
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

The AMEX business cards do not report to your personal credit report either. I have the AMEX Business Gold, Business Platinum, and just recently added the Blue Business Plus. The Business Platinum has a $200 Dell credit ($100 for first six months, $100 for second six months) and $179 CLEAR credit. Just like the personal Platinum, the Business Platinum also has a $200 airline incidental credit. The big advantage to the Business Platinum is 35% points rebate on flights in any class for your selected airlines (the same as for the airline incidental credit) and also business or first class tickets on any airlines. Basically you pay the full amount in points and then get 35% of the points back in a 6-8 weeks or less. The downside of the Business Platinum over the personal Platinum is that you only get 5x through Amextravel.com rather than also directly with any airline as well as Amextravel.com. That works fine for my uses since I also have other business airline credit cards but may be frustrating to some.

As for the AMEX Gold vs AMEX Business Gold, they do have different categories. I use mine for select technology companies and gas. Both Gold and Business Gold do offer restaurants and flights directly with airlines (3X on Gold and 4X on Business Gold). The Business Gold gives you 4X in your top two categories out of six on up to $150,000 of spend while the personal Gold gives you 4X on dining and groceries (up to $25,000 per year for groceries) along with 3X on flights directly with airlines. I would prefer the Business Gold offer 4X on all six categories instead of the top two each month but I still use it a lot for the two I use on that card.

Bold are regularly used for spending
AOD Visa Signature | Curve Card | X1 Credit Card | Target RedCard | Venmo Card
AMEX: Schwab Platinum | 2 x Gold | Green | 2 x Business Platinum | 2 x Business Gold | Blue Business Plus
AMEX: Amazon Business Prime | Delta Reserve | Delta Reserve Business | Marriott Bonvoy Business
Chase: Aeroplan | Amazon Prime | World of Hyatt | World of Hyatt Business | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase: Ink Business Cash | Ink Business Preferred | Southwest Performance Business
BofA: Alaska Airlines Business | Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards
Citi AAdvantage Executive | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Business
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards | U.S. Bank Business Platinum | GM Business Card
Apple Card | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards | PenFed Gold | PenFed Platinum Rewards
Capital One Platinum | Capital One QuicksilverOne | FNBO Evergreen Business
Player 2: Delta Platinum AMEX | Chase Freedom | 2 x Chase Freedom Flex | Apple Card
Message 6 of 7
ScorpioRising
New Contributor

@Alephbet wrote:

The AMEX business cards do not report to your personal credit report either. I have the AMEX Business Gold, Business Platinum, and just recently added the Blue Business Plus. The Business Platinum has a $200 Dell credit ($100 for first six months, $100 for second six months) and $179 CLEAR credit. Just like the personal Platinum, the Business Platinum also has a $200 airline incidental credit. The big advantage to the Business Platinum is 35% points rebate on flights in any class for your selected airlines (the same as for the airline incidental credit) and also business or first class tickets on any airlines. Basically you pay the full amount in points and then get 35% of the points back in a 6-8 weeks or less. The downside of the Business Platinum over the personal Platinum is that you only get 5x through Amextravel.com rather than also directly with any airline as well as Amextravel.com. That works fine for my uses since I also have other business airline credit cards but may be frustrating to some.

As for the AMEX Gold vs AMEX Business Gold, they do have different categories. I use mine for select technology companies and gas. Both Gold and Business Gold do offer restaurants and flights directly with airlines (3X on Gold and 4X on Business Gold). The Business Gold gives you 4X in your top two categories out of six on up to $150,000 of spend while the personal Gold gives you 4X on dining and groceries (up to $25,000 per year for groceries) along with 3X on flights directly with airlines. I would prefer the Business Gold offer 4X on all six categories instead of the top two each month but I still use it a lot for the two I use on that card.

Really good post. On point with everything!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.