cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blue Business Cash; SUB Pop Up Denial?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Blue Business Cash; SUB Pop Up Denial?

I attempted to apply for the AMEX Blue Business Cash referral today via a referral link for $250 cash back. Well before I could get even get excited I got the infamous pop up that stated:

"...based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer."

This is interesting because, I have NEVER closed an AMEX account. Have (4) total cards open in the last 1.5 years and perfect history with AMEX.

1 - Business Platinum November of 2018 (Spend only when traveling)

2 - Business Marriott Bonvoy Feb 2019 (Only did open this card as this was right before the merge) (Haven't spend on in over 1 yr)

3 - Business Gold Jan. 2020 (spend on frequently)

4 - Business Amazon March 2020 (Just started spending on)

@GoalCrus Made a post on this about a year ago, so I'm curious if he has any DPs. 

Any thoughts on why this happened, how to get past this, or am I screwed with Amex now?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Blue Business Cash; SUB Pop Up Denial?

For the part of the denial reason that states ""...based on your history with credit card balance transfers..." is this accurate?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive never balance transfered with Amex...infact I have never balance transfered on any of my cards lol

@simplynoir wrote:

For the part of the denial reason that states ""...based on your history with credit card balance transfers..." is this accurate?

Message 3 of 6
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I attempted to apply for the AMEX Blue Business Cash referral today via a referral link for $250 cash back. Well before I could get even get excited I got the infamous pop up that stated:

"...based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer."

This is interesting because, I have NEVER closed an AMEX account. Have (4) total cards open in the last 1.5 years and perfect history with AMEX.

2 - Business Marriott Bonvoy Feb 2019 (Only did open this card as this was right before the merge) (Haven't spend on in over 1 yr)

@GoalCrus Made a post on this about a year ago, so I'm curious if he has any DPs. 

Any thoughts on why this happened, how to get past this, or am I screwed with Amex now?

Amex, in its infinite wisdom, has deemed you a churner.   Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 6
RSX
Valued Contributor

i would say that opening one in Jan and another in March is the real reason for the denial

those 4 items listed dont all apply to you as you have stated - some companies just post a list of Possible reasons

i would think that by next April you should be clear to get that other card

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 5 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

...Have (4) total cards open in the last 1.5 years and perfect history with AMEX.

It appears that Amex just doesn't find it worthwhile to offer you a Welcome Offer on a new card.  4 Welcome Offers in 18 months with them is quite a lot; asking for a 3rd one in 4 months is really pushing it.  I've received 5 Welcome Offers in the past 38 months, so I realize that might look like the pot calling the kettle black, but I have also consistently spent $50-110k on my Amex cards every year for the past 18 years and have renewal after renewal on high-AF cards.

For Platinum, you mentioned that you spend only when traveling.  How much have you spent on it since getting the Welcome Offer?  For Bonvoy, if you haven't spent on it in over a year but just opened the account 15 months ago, that sounds like you got the Welcome Offer and then just stopped using the card - that is one of the primary things Amex is looking at when offering Welcome Offers to existing members.  They don't want to give you $500-1000 or more in points/miles for you to simply meet the minimum spending and then stop using the card.

Business Gold you stated that you spend on it frequently; the card was just opened 4 months ago, how much have you spent on it beyond the required spending to get the Welcome Offer?  What is frequently?  A daily trip to Starbucks or Dunkin' would be frequent spend, but might only be $150 a month.  Someone could spend infrequently on their card with just a single recurring vendor payment of $20,000 each quarter and Amex would be quite happy, even though it's only 4 transactions a year.  Spending levels are more important to them than swiping.

The Amazon card was just opened two months ago, and it sounds like you are in the process of meeting the spending requirement on it.

All of those factors are likely the "why" of it happening: too much too soon.  They have given you thousands of dollars in enticements.  I doubt this is a permanent situation for you as long as you are using their products to their satisfaction, but you'll want to allow some breathing room.  As long as your spending with Amex is at a level where you seem like a customer they want to entice for new products, you should be fine.  Keep spending and try again in about 6-12 months.

--

Also, is there a reason you went for the Blue Business Cash rather than Blue Business Plus?  You already have a pair of Membership Rewards-earning cards, and BBP is great for earning 2x on non-category spend up to $50k a year.  With Business Platinum, 2 MRs per dollar would be at least 3.08% back (1 cpp in Amex Travel and 35% points rebate = 1.54 cpp), so it sounds like you'd be cheating yourself getting the BBC anyway.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.