cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Business Card CLI - Best Practices?

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

AMEX Business Card CLI - Best Practices?

Hi,

I was thinking of trying for a credit limit increase on my AMEX SimplyCash business card. I've had the card for at least 6-7 years now I believe, and I'm still at the starting CL of $3000.

I've never requested a CLI from AMEX for the business card and I was wondering if its differnt than the personal cards?

• Will there be a hard inquiry?
  • Should I try for 3x the current limit?
  • Does it matter that the card is usually up against the current limit (due to many business purchases each month)?
  • Any possible adverse actions by requesting this? (request for documentation, account review, etc)

Thanks for any info!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Business Card CLI - Best Practices?

The process is the same as for personal cards.  No hard inquiry; they will likely just use the last pull they made to give you your Experian FICO 8 score for the decision.  

No reason not to ask for 3x, especially if you find yourself bumping up against the limit, unless you also have personal accounts that you may later want bumped up and fear you will hit an internal limit with as you cannot move limits from business to personal (although the reverse is possible).  They will counteroffer if they cannot grant the full amount. 

If anything the heavy use would just help your cause.  Since it doesn't report to your personal reports there is no scoring penalty.

ARs usually only happen if they suspect fraud, or if your spending is greatly exceeding what your finances seem to support.  4506-T requests do happen; the amount of exposure varies for triggering that.  If this is your only Amex card it would be highly unusual at such a low amount.  Those are optional.  You can always back out and ask for a lower amount, or just choose not to supply a 4506-T if you are not interested in doing so.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.